Nalgene bottle, funny Taste?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I bought a nalgene bottle a while ago but a couple of weeks ago i left it half empty with the top on for 2 days and since then when i drink out of it there is a funny smell, and also a weird taste. Anyone get this?

Ive washed out many times, put hot soapy water and left for 20mins. And nothing seems to get rid of smell and funny taste. Help?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I've had the same problem with water bottles as well, including Nalgene ones. The cure I found was to use a bottle brush or something similar to scrub the inside with Bicarbonate of Soda, and then soak the bottle overnight with a strong Bicarb solution. After you've soaked it, wash the bottle out thoroughly with very hot (or boiling) water at least twice and then wipe off any residue left in the bottle, and dry it on a radiator. If there's still any residue left in the bottle, repeat the rinsing with hot water with a teaspoon of vinegar added, then dry it again.

Hope this helps.

Alan

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I add a drop of bleach to my ex military bottles when i've forgot to empty them. but I don't know if it will harm the nalgene bottles?

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I've had the same problem with water bottles as well, including Nalgene ones. The cure I found was to use a bottle brush or something similar to scrub the inside with Bicarbonate of Soda, and then soak the bottle overnight with a strong Bicarb solution. After you've soaked it, wash the bottle out thoroughly with very hot (or boiling) water at least twice and then wipe off any residue left in the bottle, and dry it on a radiator. If there's still any residue left in the bottle, repeat the rinsing with hot water with a teaspoon of vinegar added, then dry it again.

Hope this helps.
Alan

Do i put a couple of spoon full of bicarb in water into bottle then pour out rinse with hot water?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The best way is to make a thin paste about the consistency of single cream with bicarb and cold water, and scrub the bottle out with that. If you cant find a bottle brush, a piece of sponge held in a split stick works just as well. (This method is also good for cleaning the inside of your fridge or freezer if you have a spillage.)

Alan

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I clean my Thermos flasks with sugar water - you might like to try that? Just a spoon of sugar and a bit of water, give it a shake

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's something my mother taught me - think the granular texture of the sugar helps clean (and sugar is used to preserve things after all). It's rinsed afterwards so not left with sugar-fed bacteria in it

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
I've never had that prob but all my nalgene bottles are the old type. Try a denture cleaning tablet, fill the bottle drop in the tablet let set overnight then rinse in the morning, works great on my scummy army canteens.

Warthogiam

Jan 15, 2012
Chesterfield
I always use bicarbonate of soda and squeeze a lemon into the hot water with it. Gets rid of the most "rank" smells in anything including thermos flasks.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you have a dshwasher, try crumbling some of a dishwasher tablet in the bottle with water a let it soak overnight! its brilliant on stainless steel too!!
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE