MYOG: Sewing SilNylon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am pondering a couple of MYOG projects. For weight reasons, I would like to use SilNylon to make it from. SilNylon is exceedingly slippery, and being that it's going to need to be largely waterproof, I can't even pin the pieces together.

Can anyone suggest effective ways of sewing SilNylon without it slipping and sliding all over the place?

Thanks

J

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Glue the seems first......
That's what im going to do
Or you can get the seem seal tape to help with the waterproofing

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Use the force J. :)

It's like trying to climb up an eel rope with greased hands. :)

It takes some practice but eventually, you get used to holding it in place, it takes a gentle touch.
Paper weights help keep stuff in place too.
You can also sew through tracing paper/newspaper and rip off again, it helps the feed dogs in the machine grip it if your struggling.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
you can pin it just fine. Use the thinest pins you can find. When you sew it you are shooting holes all the way along so a few pin holes makes no odds. It will need seam sealing anyway to seal the stitch holes. Its not so tough to work with once you've done a bit with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE