MYOG bivy tarp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made this work in progress cat tarp for bivying in November from some well tested 1.3oz PU coated nylon that I used for another tarp.

It's been in the garden bathing in glorious rain and wind for 3 days now to see how it stands up to the elements set up in a fair weather A frame on hiking poles.

I made a mistake when sticking the ridgeline hangers-I stuck the shorter one on the end after a xmas whiskey which cause the uneven ridge curve. :eek: This needs correcting. (circled in red)
I'm going to add 4 more pull outs to the sides to hold the egdes down better in wind. (circled) The end prussics need shortening slightly too. (circled) tent if needed.

The tarp size is just long enough for hammock coverage on the diagonal and gives a great coverage in the flying V.

2.4m x 1.5m PU coated Nylon
Cat cut
Ridgeline can be suspended diagonally or straight
Weighs 198g
Packs to an apple.

Hope you like. :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
2.4m x 1.5m PU coated Nylon
Cat cut
Ridgeline can be suspended diagonally or straight
Weighs 198g
Packs to an apple.

Hope you like. :)

certainly like the weight, 198g, mine of same size weighs nearer to 600g. How durable is it. Do you find set in style shown in photo that it is better with full length ridgleine, i just tie to end loops only (no line going full length along ridge, just from ends only)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Very nice, and extremely useful tarp.

Cheers CK. I like the flexibilty of these kind of tarps.

Nice one Pete.:)

Cheers mate.

certainly like the weight, 198g, mine of same size weighs nearer to 600g. How durable is it. Do you find set in style shown in photo that it is better with full length ridgleine, i just tie to end loops only (no line going full length along ridge, just from ends only)

It's not the most durable, but should take a 60-70mph wind. I've done close on 200 nights in the same material on my bigger lightweight winter tarp so am comfy with it. You can't abuse it too much though and being PU coated, it can't be left wet for too long.

I'd just put the end loop on the poles in fairer weather but as the weather has been bad, I wanted to remove any chance of the coating being rubbed away by the ridgeline. I do find with the suspened tarp, less tension is needed on the ridgeline cord to get a taut pitch-it makes life easier for the pegs holding the poles up.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
:D Thanks mate.

I don't have a hex tarp, it's on my list too. My wallet hopes it doesn't get made from Cuben. :puppy_dog

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Good work, once those ridgeline issues are sorted you will have a nice tarp. This is something that I have had on my mind for a while. I have several tarps but nothing I could call lightweight. I would like to go down the Cuben route myself but the prices are pretty steep.

You have given me inspiration to make one and I have just ordered some Olive green Rip-stop Nylon that is stated as 30 GSM so I will aim for a 2x2.5m tarp? I am going to have a go at impregnating the fabric with Silicone to make a DIY Silnylon tarp so will let people know how it turns out.

Steve

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Another nice tarp, Pete. A bit on the the small side for me, but it's your tarp.
Thanks Ian. :) I like a bigger shelter too but I find this size just big enough for coverage over the bivy.

Great work, I really like that design! :)
Thanks Clouston :)

Good work, once those ridgeline issues are sorted you will have a nice tarp. This is something that I have had on my mind for a while. I have several tarps but nothing I could call lightweight. I would like to go down the Cuben route myself but the prices are pretty steep.

You have given me inspiration to make one and I have just ordered some Olive green Rip-stop Nylon that is stated as 30 GSM so I will aim for a 2x2.5m tarp? I am going to have a go at impregnating the fabric with Silicone to make a DIY Silnylon tarp so will let people know how it turns out.

Steve
Brilliant Steve, glad you've got some inspiration from it. :) 30gsm silnylon? Any chance of the link mate please? That's light for UK stuff:D

Keep us posted on your efforts if you will. :)

Excellent tarp/Basha and my favourite set uo as well

Thanks Mike. :) The biggest downside for me in the A-frame is it can be a wind tunnel, putting some doors on one end should extend the useability of it in the mountains.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice work Pete.

Where do you get the material from?

Thanks Steve. This stuff came from UKfabricsonline about 2 years ago, they have none left now.

No the Nylon alone is ~30 GSM... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370953167...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 ...and I will be adding the Silicone. Absolutely no Idea what the weight will be after treating??

I too Wish I could find Silnylon at that weight as I can see me ending up a right mess with all that liquid Silicone splashing around:D

Steve

I thought you'd had a right good find there. :) I've made some kit from that ripstop, it'll take the silicone well. TX direct works well on it too. I'd bank on adding 30% to the weight with diy silicone and put it on super quick with a 3" or 4" in disposable foam roller.

Very nice work, what sort of bivvy will you be pairing it with?

Cheers mate. :) It'll depend on where I'm going TBH. Either my 350g pertex shield diy, my pertex 4 diy, a brit army gore-tex or my Integral designs Bugaboo eVent bag.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers mate. :) It'll depend on where I'm going TBH. Either my 350g pertex shield diy, my pertex 4 diy, a brit army gore-tex or my Integral designs Bugaboo eVent bag.

How do you find Pertex works as a bivvy material?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE