Mylar gusseted bags for DIY dehydrared meals?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since herself has a couple of dehydrator and a decent vacuum sealer we thought we would have a go at making our own single portion add boiling water meals.

Could anyone advise on where to get suitable mylar bags in the UK, which ones to avoid and where to find recipes/ lists of ingredients? Most of the information on the net seam to be USAcentric and refer to sources, materials etc not available over here.

Cheers!

Tom

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I get mine from ebay, just search mylar bags.

I ordered a few single ones from a few different places till I found the best ones.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah saw them but no idea which ones are genuinely good since the reviews ain't something I would take as gospel.

Didn't enter my head to reuse bags, unfortunately I don't drink coffee but I'll see what else we have similar. Will they take boiling water or would it be just for carriage? We are looking for something we can eat out of to save on washing up.

Cheers!

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought bags from Lakeland, stand up ones that lets me fill them easily. They work well for dried mixes for camping, and they (don't know if they're supposed to do this) work if I have something like soup or stewed fruit and just put the bag into a pot of boiling water and set it aside.
Lots of similar bags out there, but Lakeland is sort of a known quality even if a tad on the expensive side.

That said, Toastabags (the folks who make the ones to make toasted sandwiches in the toaster with no mess) do a set too.....and a lot cheaper.

The bags freeze well. I make up stewed fruit for crumble in mine and freeze in portions to suit the dish.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Will they take boiling water or would it be just for carriage? We are looking for something we can eat out of to save on washing up.
Yes,they are ok for boiling water,i just write on the outside whats been in them e.g breccie or main hit,i use one of them plastic mre spoons,and the bags seem to last for ages,hope this helps.

Reactions: Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers,all in put gratefully received as we are complete newbies at this.

Found a UK shop that does mylar bags as a specialty.

So will have a poke about there as well.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A short search shows that empty MRE bags are on sale here and there at least they can take hot water most of the time.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use a Fresherpack vac sealer and they sell bags. I don’t know much about Mylar bags to be honest.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I bought bags from Lakeland, stand up ones that lets me fill them easily. They work well for dried mixes for camping, and they (don't know if they're supposed to do this) work if I have something like soup or stewed fruit and just put the bag into a pot of boiling water and set it aside.
Lots of similar bags out there, but Lakeland is sort of a known quality even if a tad on the expensive side.

That said, Toastabags (the folks who make the ones to make toasted sandwiches in the toaster with no mess) do a set too.....and a lot cheaper.

The bags freeze well. I make up stewed fruit for crumble in mine and freeze in portions to suit the dish.
Pour and store are very good. I try to reuse them now because I’m not buying anymore when they run out. When they are no good for food anymore (after a few uses) I use them as a wash bowl.

Reactions: Toddy

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I'm not sure how to post a link on this via Tapatalk, but if you look on my YouTube channel (Allan Shillinglaw), you'll see me using them on my various long distance hikes of Scotland's Great Trails, especially Great Trossachs Path Day 1 (towards the end), and West Island Way Day 2 I definitely use them to rehydrate dried food using boiling water, and they handle the temperature no problem.

Excuse the shameless plug of my YouTube channel

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I'll get a adult to find your channel for me. By any chance and you recall the seller you used?

We've got the rolls of plastic we got at the same time as the sealer and a roll of narrower Thicker stuff, aquired from somewhere , no idea if it's food grade or not.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks Mary!

Great vids I think I may nick the soldering mat idea and I must get one of those gas canisters stands, I've been meaning to but have kept using a small cutting board thing with grooves to match the base of various sized cans on one side, not the best solution.

Atb
Tom

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind comments about the videos, it's much appreciated

Yeah the wee soldering mat is a great item, you can sit roasting hot pots and cups on it without fear of melting your tent footprint.

I checked back on my Ebay purchase history for the mylar bags, but because it was over a year ago since I last bought them the seller details have been removed unfortunately.

Yeah the gas canister stands are a must have too. They don't add much weight in the grand scheme of things and they're only a couple of quid from ebay.

ATB,

Allan

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Just found what looks like a good bit of kit, it's a FlexTail Gear mini pump,combined with food vacuum bags it could be a good option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE