/my weekend in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is good to know folk like my trip reports :) I try to keep em short and sweet (I could waffle on for ages if allowed to!) but always try and get a few photos ... and then only post a few!
The besom came about as the farm had just felled a few young Silver Birch which had been planted as a windbreak for some Lime trees which are now big enough to look after themselves. A few days earlier I had been chatting to a green woodworker/trad skills woodsman and Besoms had come up in conversation ...
The one I made is a bit heavy but hopefully it will get lighter as it seasons...but will probably get looser too and need wedging!
I made the broom by selecting a bunch of fairly straight twigs with lots of side twiglets and tightening a loop of paracord around them with a "Spanish Windlass" (a stick in the loop that is twisted until the cord is near breaking point - snapped one ...) then knotting a cord around the point where the windlass was... then repeating at a second point. I then whipped the tied points and a bit in between before ramming the broomstale into the end - which tightens it all up some more.
I may try another - lighter - one on our next meet!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Always enjoy your posts. Fun & informative with great images .

So will besoms be the must have thing at the 2015 MOOT this year? :D

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE