My verdict...WS Micarta Vs BRKT Highland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well! Just returned from a weekend in the woods, we always manage to find ourselves far away from people and in a beautiful spot.
I thought it would be a perfect oppurtunity to test the WS and the Highland.

First things though, disaster struck. To cut a long story short i lost my WS micarta, £95 BANG! Putting in another order for one.

Anyways we needed some fiirewood and after forgetting the axe we had to buy a new one on a low budget, useless needless to say, but the highland was actually a more effective slicer than the woodlore. Cutting through the mashed wood left by the axe. Due to it being a convex grind it also held the edge very well, but when it got a dent in the edge i was unsure how to fix it without ruining the profile. But sharpening it is a doddle with the Starkie Sharp.

Im not quite sure how to review a knife, the highland is small, robust, sharp, big enough for most tasks yet small enough for neck-wear. The WS is my favoured knife however, larger, easier to repair, small enough for my hand and not to be murderous and large enough for heavier tasks than the highland. The WS is not a neck carry in my opinion.

If one is looking for a new knife in the higher price ranges, to be honest, i'd go for a woodlore . But thats not to say the highland isnt a great little knife.

I hope thats clear, im slightly bosbefok and waffling. Slightly tired after late nights and early risings!

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I hadnt thought of it like that, just to add to the success of the weekend, my friend got food poisoning from an overly rare steak. He wasnt very ill, just his stomach couldnt handle all the raw meat!

Thinking about it...This question has been asked countless times, some of you know what i like and my price. Should i go for an alan wood custom or stick eith the trusted WS micarta?

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
i would like to but i fear another dent in the blade, how would one recitfy it?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thats another worry, im skint! If i lost another knife it would be financially disasterous £95 is almost what i get in a month! Just a thought, would the knife fall under my house insurance??

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Thats another worry, im skint! If i lost another knife it would be financially disasterous £95 is almost what i get in a month! Just a thought, would the knife fall under my house insurance??

Cheers,

Jake
Depends on your insurance ... some do, some don't!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake Rollnick said:
First things though, disaster struck. To cut a long story short i lost my WS micarta, £95 BANG!

Details!! We need details! :wave:

Did your belt break? Did the sheath break? Did a Grizzly turn you upside down and shake it out of you? Wassup!! :?: :)

leon-1

Jake Rollnick said:
I hadnt thought of it like that, just to add to the success of the weekend, my friend got food poisoning from an overly rare steak. He wasnt very ill, just his stomach couldnt handle all the raw meat!

Thinking about it...This question has been asked countless times, some of you know what i like and my price. Should i go for an alan wood custom or stick eith the trusted WS micarta?

Cheers,

Jake

Jake, I think it was you who asked about the Gene Ingram when I said I was going to get one, well with the modifications to the knife and sheath in the steel that I wanted it comes to £123 delivered and there have been quite a few mods.
I think that normally you would be looking at about £85 for one, so this is also a thought, I can't tell you how long you will wait though.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
leon-1 said:
well with the modifications to the knife and sheath in the steel that I wanted it comes to £123 delivered and there have been quite a few mods.
I think that normally you would be looking at about £85 for one, so this is also a thought, I can't tell you how long you will wait though.

You had better post lots of pics of your new knife when it arrives Leon or I will be suffering withdrawl symptoms :wink:

Bill

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Leon, yeah it was me. Thanks for reminding me about the gene ingram, i had forgotten about those. Will research into it.

Hoodoo, details? Oh alright then...

We were moving campsites due to some unwelcome people threatening to camp near us with there Alcohol and dance music (in the middle of a beautiful woodland, seemed completely out of character for it to be hindered by such people!!). We had seen an equally nice spot just about a mile away, so we were taking the stuff down into the car and i put my knife on a chair, that was the last time it was seen.
We arrived at the new one and emptied everything out to see if it was there, it wasnt. Two of us drove back to our old campsite (the awful people hadn't moved in BTW), no where to be seen. This process happened many times until we gave up. I was gutted, but at least i had brought along my highland! Which admirably served as a substitute.

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
John, i think you may be right, perhaps i should! :lmao:

Will consider it :wink:

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
The Highland is a superb lightweight field knife but really not big enough for it to perform like a Woodlore. However, the North Star...

I would go with an Alan Wood model myself BTW.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That is a real bummer Jake. Definitely hurts to lose such a nice knife.

Here's one suggestion. Don't know if it would have helped you in this situation but it can't hurt. Put a lanyard made of Kelty Triptease Lightline on your knife. If you leave it lying on the forest floor at night, it's much easier to find with a flashlight. That rope really picks up the light:

triptease1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE