My two eurocents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
It was a real adventure :cool:

I will post a few pics but there are others who can provide much better ones so I will focus on our trip and lessons learnt.

My brother in law and myself decided to split a cabin with Andy and use it as a 'safe house' during our stay. We arrived on the 4th and went over to Andy to say hi!

We preferred to go a bit further than basecamp and went on a reconnaisance trip to find a nice camping spot. We soon found that heading further into the forest meant tracking waist deep through the snow, even with snowshoes. We did about a mile and a half and set up camp in the middle of nowhere. We wanted to stay within the boundaries of allemansrecht so didn't make a natural shelter (although we would have liked to do so). We put our Exped mats on the snow and made a small snow wall against the wind, that was it.

The first night we found some standing dead wood but had a hell of a time getting a proper fire. The wood was dead but not as dry as I wanted it to be. Holding the split wood to my lips, I could feel it was still damp. We opted to melt water with our burners. Even that was easier said than done. My Primus didn't work properly (I found out later that the vapour plate had fallen of) and our other burner a MSR dragonfly got beat up during the flight and the burner ring had snapped off completely. With a bit of McGuyver ingenuity we got it to work, but it shows that you need a backup plan for the backup plan in these conditions.

The next day we set out to find better deadwood and start a proper firepit. We found some nice dead trees and started our snow melting factory.

We spent our days alternating between short visits to the market, collecting firewood, doing camp admin, sitting around the fire or hiking. Going 'off road' was continuing to be very strenuous.

There were lows when my brother in law got so cold (in his core) that even Riams giant down jacket couldn't warm him anymore. The lesson learnt here was one we all probably know but might need reiterating 'even the (air in/under the) thickest jacket needs to be warmed by your body, it does not provide warmth itself'. Layer up earlier, keep eating and keep your core warm. The cabin backup proved to be the right approach as my brother in law spent the night there.

I had the same lesson when my mittens got wet/cold and I switched to my backup glove set. Thick 'warm' gloves but as they were not on by body they were ambient temperature of -30C. Had to get to the fire to heat them up before I could keep my hands warm.

Two of the highs must be the snow shoe trek we went on with Teepee and our day out near the lake setting our bivy records.

What worked and didn't work:
worked:
- Big Bill 210 wool pant, these things just rock. Warm and comfy but itchy as hell
- Folding buck saw. Made cutting up the trees much easier than with the laplander saw
- More knife. No problems there, cheap and excellent
- PHD down bag (high mountain camp). I spent all but one night out. Even on the last coldest day I was warm enough. At ~1,5 kilo's it is tough to beat
- Large Zebra billy. Versatile and rugged. We had another large pot for snow melting
- Arcteryx kappa synthetic down jacket. Excellent, stuffed it in a small thermarest pillow case at night, in the morning I took it out and put it ons straight away for instant warmth.
- Icebreaker 200 base. Excellent and non smelly ;)
- Muurikka Picknick. Thumbs up, for a frying pan, you need something sturdy like this. Worked a treat.
- Haglofs mittens. Good leather palms and warm
- Empire Canvas parka. Cracking and you can put it over everything else you are wearing, keeping you warm and protecting the other layers from sticks and sparks at the same time
- freeze dried food from globetrotter.nl ;this is not boil in the bag but freeze dried ingredients that you need to cook. Good food and lots of vegs!
- cord and clips. Good for camp organisation, string a line and clip important items to it
- bivvy markers. Little tritium valves to make items visible in the dusk/dark
- Nalgene bottles and OR bottle parka. Keeps water fluid and leaks just enough warmth to be used as a warm flask in the sleeping bag
- Princeton Tec lights. Versatile with proper red light, blue, white and IR and is able to use both cr123 and AA
- Exped down booties with shells. These are the bomb. Will work as camp booties and when you go to bed, you take off the shells and wear the booties to bed. In the morning you get up, put your warm booties in the shell again and you are off

sort of worked
- Exped down mat. It was definately warm enough, but and this is a big BUT, when temps go to -30C and below, the vents become useless. The material is so hard that the plugs get stuck, meaning you cannot inflate or deflate the mat. That was a major disappointment from a piece of potentially excellent kit
- PHD synthetic overbag. Added warmth but it proved difficult to use the hood of the bag and close it properly when your are in the inner bag. Added warmth but I couldn't use its full potential
- My mittens and gloves were part leather and next time I need to grease them up more before the trip. The palms did retain moist en therefore froze stiff.
- Pulka. Super system with large bag attached to the pulka to keep all the snow out. In this very deep and fluffy snow, it was murder to go anywhere though. I don't know if anything could have coped with that as just going without any baggage was already tough
- Seil marshall arctic packboots. Comfy and sturdy but leather uppers froze. On the proper cold days I needed to warm the boots before I could get them on

didn't work
- Toothpaste. It freezes
- Lifeventure soap. It freezes
- Stormproof matches. Short blaze but run out before you can really light anything

I will keep adding to the list as I am unpacking and storing my kit.

A couple of pics to finish :)

our 'camp'
SAM_0012.JPG

the fire pit
IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

preparing reindeer steak at -30C (semi-defrosted in liquid water)
SAM_0026.JPG

SAM_0031.JPG

bushwhacking
SAM_0044.JPG

Teepee's new campsite?
SAM_0042.JPG

Down by the lake for our coldest night
SAM_0046.JPG

sunrise after >-35C
SAM_0054.JPG

Thankfully it had warmed up by then ;)
SAM_0056.JPG

It has been a blast guys. Next time Canada????? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Lennart

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been great seeing the photos of this trip and reading your discussions :)

Bright, cold, unforgiving somehow though the place looks, it sounds as though you're all glad you went :D

Thank you for posting :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Great report and pics Lennart. Really interesting to read how the various kit performed, I'll be interested to hear if you raise the valve issue with Exped and their response. How did the aluminium Trangia billy perform ? No holes melted in it ?

Andy

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Great report. Can you add any further info regarding water storage and battery life?

Bob.

And did personal ablutions cause any issues?

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Another crackin read , nice one .

We all seem to learn the same lessons on these trips , nice one

Like the look of the fry pan to ,, :)

Twodogs

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Packing list with comments part one

in the pack
carry on
on the body
Ski bag
How did it perform?
grams
Pulka with harnas and pullbar
Luggage (total)
Exped dry bags
did well, snozzle attaches to vent for inflating the Exped mats
Clothing (total)
soft shell jacket
ECW arctic anorak
yes
Perfect, roomy and tough
Roomy rain pants for over regular trousers
not needed
Norgie sweater
excellent value
Wool socks
1 pair
3 pair total
alpaca socks were nice and warm
Merino baselayer
long johns
performed well, stayed dry and didn't smell
Aecteryx kappa SV jacket
Great and at night used with thermarest pillow case as pillow
Rab Photon synthetic midlayer
packs down real small and fabric is nice and slick so easy to put anorak over the top
Seil Marschall boots + extra liner
yes
only extra liner, boots on the plane
performed well but leather uppers froze
Mittens and hat
Haglofs shell, OR polartec handschoenen, ortovox mittens, arcteryx beany and Black Rock hat
Spare gloves
outdoor research gloves
Snow goggles
codet 210 pants
Top marks but cannot be worn without long johns
Fjallraven Barents pants
used as spare
belt
yes
thick leather belt
Cooking and eating (total)
Primus omnifuel
Once the vapour plate was on, it worked well. This plate is loose though and you should take a spare
pot parka
include pan scourer
Fuel tank
Muurikka Picnic + Large Zebra
very good
Plate/bowl
very good
Mug
Vargo 600
good for cooking and drinking without scorching your lips
Titanium cutlery
Packers grill
TI grill weighs next to nothing, but grilling at -30 isn't easy
cutting board flexible (2 sheets)
good but slippery
OR bottle parka
2 Nalgene 1Liter
combined with the bottle parka and stuffed in my sleeping bag, water remained liquid for at least 10 hours. If you didn't finish it by then, you are not drinking enough

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Packing list with comments part two

in the pack
carry on
on the body
Ski bag
How did it perform?
Sleeping (total)
PHD overbag
Good but difficult to close when lying in the inner bag
high mountain camp bag
very good, warm and light
VBL
not used, trade off between more warmth but feeling more clammy. I was warm enough. Had I stayed out longer, definately the VBL bag would have been wise
Exped down 9 LW
Warm and comfy but vents unusable under -25C. Material was so hard that plugs could not be removed
Rab Alpine Lite bivy
did well
chopping/sawing/hunting (total)
Axe
between us we had a scandinavian forest axe and a wildlife hatchet. Nice combo
Saw (bahco)
Good but preferred the buck saw
Folding buck saw
Great for cutting up firewood
Snow saw
snow was too dry to use it
Knife
cheap and great
Hobo fishing kit
nice but optional
ice was unreliable so didn't use
Personal items (total)
towel
army model, good
Toiletries & first aid
bog roll, tie wraps, length of paracord, hand warmer pads
pee bottle
Nalgene collapsible canteen
candles
headlamp and spares
Princeton Tec
Excellent versatile light, backup was Petzl ultralight
odd bits (total)
snow shovel
Voile Telepro T6 mini
great sturdy and with D grip
Backcountry shelter
not used, but great nonetheless
Extra snow pegs
Edts folding titanium stove
not used, but great nonetheless
Down camp boots
Exped down booty WB
Da bomb!
Snow shoes
excellent
auger
not used because reports were ice was unreliable
Snacks & Food
cheese, dried sausage, hartkeks, nuts/fruits (studentenhaver), pasta, couscous
sausage and cheese, hartkeks, dried mango, nuts, tuna packets all good
Papers
passport, boarding pass, course location GPS coordinates and map of region
Total weight
Norwegian (hold)
Norwegian (carry on)

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Where did the pulka go?
I'd like to know more about it.

I think I just found it; the red one, right? I'd still like to hear more about, though.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Bob, I missed you out there, where were you? ;)

Water storage in the Nalgene bottles with OR Parka seems to me to be the best of both worlds. There are better isolated options, but they are heavier and by logic leak less warmth when you stuff them in your sleeping bag. There are lighter options, but they freeze too quickly and bleed too much warmth. Two one liter bottles did me just fine. I did have the cap freeze on me once but a simple dunking in hot water and the cap came off.

I invested in all lithium batteries but didn't need to change batteries once. I kept my cellphone is a waterproof pouch next to my skin to keep it warm at all times. Headtorch was around my neck most of the times. The camera did complain of a dead battery after some time in an outer pocket but once warm again, the battery was ok and charged enough. So I must say battery depletion was much less than I had expected. I have to say it was much lighter than most of us had expected. Sunrise was around 7.30/8.00 and dusk set in at around 15.30. Even outside those daylight hours I could walk around the forest with my red led light on low setting. The snow surface is of course a big reflector.

I had a bottle of hand sanitiser to keep my hands clean, the aforementioned bottle of all purpose soap that froze and a couple of wysi wipes. Having wool base layers does pretty much eliminate the need for a lot of personal hygiene ;)

Great report. Can you add any further info regarding water storage and battery life?

Bob.

And did personal ablutions cause any issues?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE