my time with the Suffolk Boonie Goonies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Great write up and once again I wish I was there. One thing I was thinking, and I mean no offence to anyone at all by this, is what a lot of kit! Being a little bit army-fied I have found it hard to break away from certain things but recently I've learned a couple of things about minimising kit. Firstly that clothing by night is better than blankets, a wool shirt and a softie around the legs does better service than a second blanket and takes up less space. I've also begun to share the load more, I now split carrying duties with a friend, I take the cooking kit, he carries the food etc, share a shelter and we all sleep better. The more I do this the more I suspect Boone and co used similar methods.

Still guys, looks like an awesome time and I'm truly jealous!
Yup breaking away from ingrained beliefs about kit is hard.
I'm definitely reassessing my load for the next trip out.
Not keen on sharing as I'm occasionally out on my own so want to get it to a level I'm happy with for just me

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yup breaking away from ingrained beliefs about kit is hard.
I'm definitely reassessing my load for the next trip out.
Not keen on sharing as I'm occasionally out on my own so want to get it to a level I'm happy with for just me

I have to say the same really, it hard to come out of the comfort zone of using kit that you know and find easy to use.. I am the same I like to have all my kit... in some ways it get you into packing it all, so i f you want to you got it sussed.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
In the spirit of Boone, y'all look like a proper Kanta-ke exploration party! :cool: Nice write up, Sam; I always enjoy your posts, friend. Thanks for the pictures and as always, the chow looks great!

I just got back from my native home in Boone's Kentucky. Although I went home under unfortunate circumstances, a death in the family, I never go home to 'Boone's country' without some camping. So I camped and paid my respects to my family. I spent time alone in reflection, on the Daniel Boone National Forest, upon the life and character of my late loved one. I visited a place on the forest, in the Bark Camp area, that has special meaning to me personally; a place that I had spent many a night in my youth, in the spirit of 'Boone exploration'! It is a simple overhanging cliff, known locally as a 'rockcastle', in an area of many 'rockcastles'. There are many accounts of Boone and other explorers overnighting in 'rockcastles', frequently, in this region.

Here is a picture of my favorite 'rockcastle' back in Kentucky:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/gordymiller/DSCN4484_zps90f3bc7f.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE