My take on a Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Hi!
Well...since the early days of waching Ray Mears, i´ve been longing for my own Woodlore...but the price on that knife has always made me back-out on bying one...
But as you all probably know, once you get something stuck in your head long enough, you get more and more determined to get it...
The other day i was looking through the garage for something, can´t remember what, but i accidently stumbeled upon an old file. I looked at the file and thought to myself, at that time just for fun, that this could probably be turned into a nice knife.
Got online and just for fun, googeled a Woodlore, only to discover that the measurements were actually perfect for the file!
Ran out, got my butane-torch and started re-softening the knife, and this is by the way the first time i´ve actually done anything like this, a knife from scratch with tempering, hardening and so forth, so bare with me that it´s not perfect of course.
So, filed it down to the appropriate shape, grinded, sanded, hardened, re-tempered, annealeded, made scales, sanded a bit more, cut, cut myself (all of this done with the correct beer-intake to work ratio), and after many hours....there i was with my own Woodlore!

So, some details then!
Overall lenght 22cm, blade 10
Scales are made out of cherry, oiled with linseed oil and buffed.
Steel type and hardness are unknown, but since it took me about one whole day to get the darn thing sharp (and i started with a 400 grit stone). i´d say enough.

So...for the pictures then! but bare in mind that i do need to fancy it up a bit more..

2011-08-10172053.jpg

2011-08-10172127.jpg

2011-08-10172142.jpg

2011-08-10172157.jpg

2011-08-10172212.jpg

2011-08-10172231.jpg

2011-08-10172244.jpg

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Thats better than a Woodlore as its unique - its yours and there is a lot of you in it.

It looks lovely - need to sort out a sheath for it now.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
well i'd say that's outstanding for a first attempt at knife making, well done chap

stuart

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Thanks guys! i really appreciate all the great feedback! and yes, a sheath is the next thing on my list!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice job! Nothing beats the "i want" "i will learn to make" attitude.. Beats just shelling out hands down.

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Haha, yeah! you´re most right, it´s extremely satisfying to work with a tool that´s made by you, and that has all those hours put into it...you appreciate it and care for it a lot more that something bought off shelf..
But the third layer of linseed oil on just a couple of minutes ago and going to give it another buffing tomorrow for that last touch, then it´s sheath time as soon as i can score some nice leather!
Again, thank you all for your kind words, very much appreciated!

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Actually there was no rust at all, and that´s a file that´s been laying around the shop for atleast 5-6 years...untouched

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE