My tackle is old...but in lovely condition

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not a bad idea that - they are cheap enough, next time I fetch past a chandlers I'll pick one up

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Your block looks as though you should be able to get the becket (the metal loop) off easily enough but if you can't, if you squeeze the sides of the thimble* at the top of the curve, the pointed end will open a bit.

* in a vise.

Last edited:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I am missing quite a lot here, brains probably. How on earth is a fellah supposed to get a thimble in that block eye, without springing the thimble apart, threading it through and then bending it all back into shape before resplicing?...better to incorporate a shackle that fits tween thimble and eye.
Ceeg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am missing quite a lot here, brains probably. How on earth is a fellah supposed to get a thimble in that block eye, without springing the thimble apart, threading it through and then bending it all back into shape before resplicing?...better to incorporate a shackle that fits tween thimble and eye.
Ceeg

Doh.

I'll do that Ceeg (hello again btw :)). Hadn't thought it through. In fact I'll splice eyes onto a couple of different sized lengths and revve as required for the job. Will need to chase down a suitable sized brass shackle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE