Cruiser Axe Restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not got to write yet another axe restoration thread ...I'm sure anyone who wants to know how I do it has read one by now :)

This is just to introduce a nice new axe in the "Cruiser" size.

Mark (HillBill) was kind enough to pass on a nice 2lb cruiser sized head to me

Craftsman Cruiser Axe Head by British Red, on Flickr

My buddy Mike (Sniper69) was good enough to send me the appropriate sized cruiser helves

28" Helves by British Red, on Flickr

Now, the same as all old axe heads, this one needed some work

Crusier Head Before Work by British Red, on Flickr

The Helve needed sanding back, fitting and finishing

Refinished Cruiser Helve by British Red, on Flickr

But its all in a few hours work

Reground Cruiser Bit by British Red, on Flickr

28" Cruiser Axe by British Red, on Flickr

Its a great size for an axe - the 2lb head on a 28" helve - very lively, suitable for two or one handed use, enough length for good torque when chopping but small and light enough for pack carry - no wonder Dick Proenneke liked it.

Its hard to describe its length and balance so I photographed it with My GB and Kelly Working axes and Lee Reeve Double

Double Bit Family by British Red, on Flickr

And also with my Scandinavian Forest and Wetterlings Outdoor axes

Cruiser Axe next to Scandinavian Axes by British Red, on Flickr

A great axe in a very handy "do anything" size - thanks a lot to Mark & Mike

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Superb Hugh :) I'm liking it, nice re profiling job too :)

Do i spot a spare helve in the second pic there mate?........ :D

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I gave him that one :p

(in return for another axehead, but one can hope :D Saves me making one from scratch though.......bit of cheek gets you everywhere lol) :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I will carve one..... im just lazy given the opportunity to be so. :) But in all fairness, i've been thinking for a while what i'm going to do with it.... carved ash helve, wood stain carefully painted into the grain, then sanded from anywhere thats not grain, and also been toying with the idea of silver wire inlaid into the helve..... just to be a poser n all that, perhaps with something carved into the swell at the bottom :) Think it would look sweet :)

I thought you were carving one? If I'd known you wanted one I'd have asked Mike for more :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I will carve one..... im just lazy given the opportunity to be so. :) But in all fairness, i've been thinking for a while what i'm going to do with it.... carved ash helve, wood stain carefully painted into the grain, then sanded from anywhere thats not grain, and also been toying with the idea of silver wire inlaid into the helve..... just to be a poser n all that, perhaps with something carved into the swell at the bottom :) Think it would look sweet :)

That would look superb!

Wish we could get them at the US prices - its the shipping that's the killer....:(

I polished this head rather than gun blue it or use graphite stove black, makes it a pig to photograph. As salan says though, these are a real handy size for a "pack axe" or snedding - even light falling and splitting. Nice axes!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, US prices minus shipping would save folks a lot of work.

Polisheds good!, but yeah trying to take a pic of a polished surface is a pain. I'll be getting axe heads like ours once, maybe twice a year.... english axes (kent patterns and billhooks) for american axes. ( cruisers) gransfors are nice, but are designed for softwoods...... we can do better :)

That would look superb!

Wish we could get them at the US prices - its the shipping that's the killer....:(

I polished this head rather than gun blue it or use graphite stove black, makes it a pig to photograph. As salan says though, these are a real handy size for a "pack axe" or snedding - even light falling and splitting. Nice axes!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That's a lovely looking axe Hugh, I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon and get a little double bit to have a play with, they look so much more purposeful than the bushcraft standard GB style axe.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE