My tackle is old...but in lovely condition

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thought you might like this one. Found in a "junk" store today - a "Luff Tackle" made by David Reid & Co - Manchester - a firm that operated from 7 Hilton street in Manchester in the late 1800s. Still in great working order - all metal construction.

It seemed only proper to look through my rope stores, struggle to remember my eye splicing and reeve it properly

Luff Tackle (David Reid & Co. - Manchester) by British Red, on Flickr

A useful old piece - three times mechanical advantage - and much cheaper than buying even a basic wooden set. For those intrigued by the name of Luff Tackle - it refers to a rope secured to a single block, run through a double block and back through the single and double. I confess I had to look it up as I could never keep all the names straight.

BlockAndTackle.gif

Had to pick this old beauty up for £4 whilst I was there :cool:

Auger by British Red, on Flickr

Red

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A small luff like that is often known as a 'handy billy'. Handy for any number of odd lifting and pulling jobs.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very pleased with the luff tackle - been after one for a while - then stumbled on this one at a bargain basement price (even though the pillock was trying to sell the two parts separately - sigh)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent finds, both of them.............such an augur for not much more than the price of a pint? Some things just make one scratch one's swede!........atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A small luff like that is often known as a 'handy billy'. Handy for any number of odd lifting and pulling jobs.

So it is - this one is a fair size (it runs half inch rope), but that is exactly what I intend it for :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I know one old horsemaster who uses a few "handy billys" to store oiled leather harness suspended from the rafters in his barn to keep the rats from getting at the oily leather - they love it and destroy it in very short order.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I feel compelled to ask, what that is. What is it?
Wait. I looked it up. never mind:eek:

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice finds.

I used to know how to calculate stuff to do with mechanical advantage from using block and tackle but that was years ago!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice finds.

I used to know how to calculate stuff to do with mechanical advantage from using block and tackle but that was years ago!

Crudely the number of bits of rope entering, leaving or attached to the moving block. On the rig shoen the moving block has the rope attached to it, passing into the pulley and out from the pulley - three parts so three times advantage . a 50lb pull will lift 150lbs. Simples :)

There are subtelties about "rigging to advantage" and friction, but that's the basic rule.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have at least 2 left permanently rigged and to hand on the boat mooring - mostly used to pulling wayward pontoons back into position after floods have damaged the bank. Once you are used to having them, you'll not want to leave home without one!

What's the breaking strain of that rope?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not too sure to be honest - fairly sure its half inch manilla so a couple of thousand pounds I suppose?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A fair guide for natural fibre ropes is ...

BS (in tonnes) = 2D²/200, where D = diameter of rope in mm

so for half-inch, say 12mm,

288/200 = 1.44t

As you said; couple of thousand pounds (-ish)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or in my crude terms

"thick enough not to cut my hands to bits and strong enough that I could not lift its capacity even with 3:1 advantage"

:)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The weak point will be the 'turn' in the eye. I think (and I bet there are people on here who could calculate it) that you shouldn't count on more than a third of the full breaking strain. So bring that 2000lb down to no more than 700lb. With a 3-1 ratio and a surge load, it would be surprisingly easy to reach that.

Putting a metal eye in the rope eye would help a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE