My Singer 201k Collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Well sadly due to a technology issue I missed the hand crank I was looking at, but I did win an ok electric 201 to be going on with. I sure I could change it to hand crank easily enough if i need to, or just practice "as is" till I find "The one";)
Anyway, I was wondering if you chaps could recommend a good sewing forum (Odd, how I never thought I'd ever say that) for the novice Singer owner and user, I really don't know anything. :D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you go back through this thread there are a good few links to some very useful and informative resources for Singer machines in general and 201's in particular; for sewing in general, for beginners, youtube is your friend :)

You'll find that nice as the other machine was, you're much better off with the 201 you've got. It's extremely easy to convert to manual but I'd advise you to learn to use the machine as it is; you have two hands free to manoeuver the workpiece and that's a major advantage as you're starting. If you do decide to convert, pm me and I'll probably have the bits you need.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi everyone....sorry i've been a bit quiet recently...lifes been getting a bit on top....

i see Sir Mac has been looking after you in his most capable hands....as he said steve, theyre identical in every way that matters....glad youve joined 'the club' and have fun!...beautiful aint they? both handcrank and electric have their pros and cons as do treadle and knee operated....horses for courses as such....though, as hillbills done, add a handcrank to it and depending on what youre working on and the volume of it, either machine will find its place in your life.....original wooden handled cranks go for good money just by themselves, as do nice condition balance wheels so you may as well just buy an entire machine. its crazy....i see cranks go through on ebay regularly for over 20 to 25 quid....yet a whole machine can be gotten for significantly less than 50 quid....no brainer.

i now own twelve 201's....all 'different' in some way (though mechanically identical internally) and spanning the entire production period....i've just one variation to add to my collection.....each one has its own character and differences, in feel, sound, smell and appearance.

yesterday i took delivery of an absolutely spanking direct drive potted motor (my second....the first is listed here and bless her she was damaged in the post) and today i've been oiling, tinkering and generally admiring it....i got it for 45quid which has got to be bargain of the century. and i recently got one of the first ever made, having a serial number beginning with 'EA'....35quid....

its also lovely to see the pics members have been posting up, and not only of 201's....for posterity and also because it lets me know that i'm not the only weirdo on here who needs counselling lolol!

if anyone wishes to buy a 201 and is happy to collect, drop me a line and i may be able to sort one out. buying something like this from a stranger on ebay can be 'iffy' and off-putting, as i've learned myself.....there seems to be a lot of charity shop cruisers and car booters picking them up in dubious conditions and listing them without a clue about what theyve got, what theyre doing or whether the machine is actually functional. i'm certainly no expert but i will at least be honest with you and tell you anything that needs to be told.

everyone knows just how good the 201 is from a mechanical point of view....but it doesnt end there....unless its a handcranker/treadle version theres going to be electrics involved....pedals are notoriously dodgy.....wiring is potentially dangerous....motors are oiled incorrectly....and so on. just because the needle goes up and down it does not mean the machine will work correctly by any means.

i'm now getting into the electrical side of it a little....just a little....and for someone like myself who's always stayed away from electrics (and plumbing) its a nervy process....i've opened some up to find yellow and black wires....others red and black....some wired the wrong way round....some have been modernised and are earthed.....some with mismatching cables simply taped together....loose wires, sparks....and yes i've been shocked from one, wasnt nice...some with extra capacitors for no apparent reason....blah blah. what i would say is that if you have any doubts about your machine, do not leave it plugged in and unattended....and get it serviced professionally if you feel you cant do it safely yourself. i've bought a couple which were blatant fire hazards, even to my untrained eye....really really dodgy.

so....keep it coming....keep buying 201's....i'm glad i took macs advice (and bilmos and turbos)....these things really are rather special....rare?....not exactly....but certainly scarce in top condition and most certainly precious....and yes, they are the rolls royce of sewing machines....in years to come 201 owners will be laughing at those who dont own one.

i'll be laughing twelve times!!!!....(and counting)

regards

s

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I saw a 66k treadle at our local furniture LOROS charity shop yesterday, OK condition with the Green Lotus decals, not siezed but not been used or oiled for aaaaages.... £100 :D Maybe folk are starting to give these old gals some respect? I hope so, it'll make you a millionaire if you hold on to them long enough, Angst ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's way overpriced for a 66k treadle! But it's a market that goes in cycles and there are always bargains to be had if you're patient :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Quite possibley the manliest sewing machine collection I've seen!

Ill get a picture of the one I bought wifey for you to have a look at, its a model 127 hand cranker. In pretty nice shape too and wifey really likes it.

I saw an electric model in a junk shop the other day but it was kinda rough, they wanted £20 but it hadn't been tested yet..

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya.....after nearly 3 days with no internet and finally just now completely blowing my lid to a poor lady on the phone, threatening litigation, trading standards, the lot, i'm finally back online.....wouldnt the world be so much better if everything was done ''the singer way'' still? at least things would work properly....

hi turbo....yup its interesting youve pointed this out....just last week i mentioned to my mate steve and also angela that the average price of a 201 on ebay seems to be going up....and there are less bargains to be had....just in the space of a few months.....dunno if this is my fault lolololol!

there are usually 4 pages of 'singer 201' if you do a search....scroll through them now and youll see anything 'decent' (and many also not) coming in at 100 quid and a lot more too....especially the fixed price ones. and unless one is being sold as spares or repair in auction they also seem to be fetching a minimum of 50 even in dirty condition and with naff and incomplete extras and accessories.

which brings me to....a coupla weeks ago i saw my first ''EA.........'' serial numbered machine.....a very early model....and of course i had to have it....filthy, sold as not working.....i put a 200quid bid in on it.....crazy?.....well i got it for 35 quid....and because i've had no internet i've managed to spend a good 10+ hours on it over the last coupla days cleaning it, replacing parts where appropriate and so on....i've even bought decals from the states which Sir Mac has told me is easy enough to do....famous last words! lol

i also took the plunge and bought a direct drive (my third) ''EB........'' in similar ''binnable'' condition.....i got it for 10 quid. though trust me its a mess and i've yet to start on it. the thing is literally an electrical liability with the cables perished and saturated in grease.

these two are now my projects and i'm 'restoring' them to the best of my amateur ability and i'm doing a W.I.P. for you guys....hopefully it'll be a help to someone in future....i may well post them up in a bit after i've caught up on my work backlog and emails...

anyway....keep buying them....and i know no-one wants to spend a 100 if 50's a possibility but i can assure you that if you spend a oner on a better 201 sold by someone who knows what theyre on about you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

regards

s

I saw a 66k treadle at our local furniture LOROS charity shop yesterday, OK condition with the Green Lotus decals, not siezed but not been used or oiled for aaaaages.... £100 :D Maybe folk are starting to give these old gals some respect? I hope so, it'll make you a millionaire if you hold on to them long enough, Angst ;)

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Noooooooooo just seen this what's the matter with you man.. Lol. Your letting the side down.. Hope all is well mate. Take care lee.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
lololol!!! dont panic lee....these dont sew through thick leathers! only thinner supple stuff for the likes of possibles pouches and so on....theyre domestic machines, not industrial! will be making canvas tarps and bags with them.

i'm still handstitching everything brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s

Noooooooooo just seen this what's the matter with you man.. Lol. Your letting the side down.. Hope all is well mate. Take care lee.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Fantastic collection, swmbo has an couple of old singers, Serial No EF728696. is there anyway of finding out what model it is?
Steve

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
Now who to blame...................

Bought a hand crank 201k today (1955 - Black), picking it up tomorrow.

Growing collection now includes a 1956 hand crank 99K and a 1958 Brown electric 201K. That's all I am going to buy :rolleyes:, although I know the local charity shop has a brown hand crank 185K coming on sale shortly (and I'm top of their list?).

Pictures to follow when I figure out how to upload.

ATB,
GH

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
''hi everyone....my name's granitehead and i'm a sewing-machinaholic...''

''hi granitehead and welcome to the group and feel free to blame Mac''

Now who to blame...................

Bought a hand crank 201k today (1955 - Black), picking it up tomorrow.

Growing collection now includes a 1956 hand crank 99K and a 1958 Brown electric 201K. That's all I am going to buy :rolleyes:, although I know the local charity shop has a brown hand crank 185K coming on sale shortly (and I'm top of their list?).

Pictures to follow when I figure out how to upload.

ATB,
GH

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....heres three more 201's that have been added to my collection since the first five....i'm at 15 now and we all know who to blame....

heres a 'blood and pus' coloured aluminium bodied one, this time with dark brown attachments...if memory serves me correctly this one is bilmos fault...erm, no actually, i stand corrected, its macs fault....cost me 63 inc. postage quid, near mint condition:

this is the direct drive 'potted motor' 201-k2 version that was turbogirls fault...oooops, typo sorry....i meant mac....got this for 50 quid....near mint condition...

and this is a knee operated version...cost me 60 i think?....again near mint condition and again macs fault!

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have one of the treadle ones at me dads that was me hans she used to make little leather toys still there its mine one day god noes where ill put it, but ill find somewhere for it.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Nice bits of kit. I don't think I've seen so many Singers together outside of the Clydebank Museum, who have literally hundreds stored from the long-gone Singer factory.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE