My scouts had a go at spoon making

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I'm in the process of making my first spoon and apart from just whittling sticks and taking bark off I've not done any carving.

The knives are sharp and whilst it vaguely looks like a spoon I guess it will never be one I will want to show.

Ahh well onwards and upwards

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I always check the quality and edge of any penknife bought to camp, normally end up doing a lot of sharpening lol.
The only knife accident we have had was with a folder... Scout closed the blade with his fingers in the way:yikes:, so now I only allow fixed blades for carving and generally dissuade them from bringing folders.

We have a selection of fixed blades, which are cleaned in the field by the Explorers, then given the once over by me at home...which is what I was doing yesterday:
Sharps
[/URL][/IMG]

...Getting ready for running the bushcraft element of annual camp.

Simon

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
But when you are on a district camp with other groups you can not control what they have.
Also my own group does not have the funds to supply knives, would be nice though.

At the County camp every scout on site (just over 90) used our Troops.

If your troop cannot afford half a dozen Mora craftline 511 knives from HERE you need to charge more subs mate.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I would buy them at that price Alf, but they are not available online and Chas Olsen doesn't have any branches South of the M4 so by the time you add on the cost of fuel to get them you are talking closer to a tenner each. If he charged more subs they wouldn't turn up cos the parents wouldn't be able to buy so many scratch cards.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
brancho thanks for the link but but suggesting how I deal with the finances of my group without knowing the catchment area etc I find offensive and would kindly ask you to drop that direction of discussion.

Back to the spoon discussion please......

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You can be as offended as you wish there is nothing I can do about that. There are many ways to finance equipment etc but I suggest a look round Escouts may help you a little.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
brancho thanks for the link but but suggesting how I deal with the finances of my group without knowing the catchment area etc I find offensive and would kindly ask you to drop that direction of discussion.

Back to the spoon discussion please......

Why be offended - It was useful and good advice.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I stopped using escouts as a regular visiting place, some good info there but did not like the schoolmaster undertones from some of the more "established" members telling what you should do rather than suggest. I prefer the more open to suggestions and ideas shared here makes a friendlier and more welcoming place to visit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE