My 'Quinze' snow shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That looks great John,i,ve wanted to make one since the snow came but i,ve not got round to it yet.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Just finished building mine, kept thinking dont make it to high because I dont want it to cave in, turns out its not high enough, all in all though I am over the moon can sit down in it, three adults comfortably. Two air vents plus a candle vent. Gonna see what its like tonight when its dark and chilly

remember Dad making me and Igloo when i was a kid back in the 70s when we had real snow an the country didnt grind to a halt :rolleyes:

he use a 4ltr Iceceam tub to make snow bricks and stacked em round then sloped the first row so it spiraled up worked quite well but he is a builder :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
whats a cold well? im going to try this tomorrow too, it has been snowing all day and we have had about another 7" on top of what was already there, and its still going!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I'm in the middle of making one of these at the moment. I've made the big pile of snow, will hollow it out tomorrow morning (assuming it isn't thawing too much by then)
Thanks for the inspiration :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Well jon_r first the igloo and now this. I think you should consider a name change to "arctic architect."

Great work in both cases. When I was a kid in Michigan (long ago and in a galaxie far away), we would get snow drifts so deep that we never had to build an igloo or mound up snow, we would just tunnel into a drift.

The coolest thing was that sometime out on the lake we could sometimes find small ice caves that were quite comfy.

Keep up the good work, I guarantee you that you will remember your snow shelters the rest of your life. I'm 69 and I remember mine like they were yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE