My pipe

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Great job! I have a couple of Birch burls, drying in the Garage. I think you have inspired this pipe smoker to use at bit of one for a bowl, Then the rest of it for a Pipe rest ( which I was just going to do anyway ).
Again Nice Work!!!
:You_Rock_ :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Unusual and very interesting work. Theres a bloke lives a few yards away from me as has been trying to make a smoking pipe from very thin hazel sticks, he uses a straight piece of wire with barb's on it to draw the pith out (he say its easier than pushing it out?) Cant remember what he uses for the bowl maybe hawthorn or black thorn?? I'll ask how he is getting on next time I see him

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I imagine that drawing the pith out would be easier than pushing it through - if you've got the right tools.

Blackthorn is the traditional wood for pipe bowls.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yeah, I imagine that drawing the pith out would be easier than pushing it through - if you've got the right tools.

Blackthorn is the traditional wood for pipe bowls.
If your interested I'll ask him for to do a diagram of his wire next time I see him, from what he described its like a long straightened out fish hook with several barb's along its length. I made some tubes from elder (making flute's and reed's for pipe clarinett's) I pushed the pith out with a chainsaw file and a knotted string "pull through". I once made a hash pipe from bits of hard wood but that was made up (similar consrtuction method as an apache flute actually, a hollow box made from 4 thin plank's). I havent smoked dope since 20 year's ago now in case any one is bothered :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that's in the plan for when (if?) I finally get an allotment. The waiting list in Edinburgh is huge.

Mr Dazzler, I'd certainly be interested in your friend's approach to pith-removal. :)

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
That is a lovely pipe you have inspired me to get of my butt and make the pipe that intended to do 2 years ago. I have a pipe that is made from bamboo and it does not look as nice as yours does, I really like the silver work adds a nice finishing touch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE