My New Travel hammock need help finding this stuff to hang it...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi there i bought a dd travel hammock from a member here and i used it for a cpl of nights in fort william i set it up using the webbing that came with the hammock but i found this video on you tube its made by a guy called Shugemery the video is class..the slo mo part is excellent...i really like the way his hammock is set up so i have a cpl of questions

1,can i hang my dd travel hammock like in the video
2,can i get the parts here in the uk or from this forum
3,is this what i need 2 x tree huggers, 2 x dutch clips, 2 x toggles,2 x whoopee slings

cheers Allan

here is the video if anyone wants to watch it...atb Allan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I am looking to have some dutch clips made over here, as its ridiculous to have them posted from the US. I may have some spare for sale. I am testing the prototype this weekend :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah you can hang your DD the same mate, just pull the crap webbing out and replace it with a short fixed amsteel loop, then a drip ring and then your whoopies.

I bought most of my gear from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment in the States, I think Mat at UKHammocks is putting some gear together but I don;t know what he's got right now. He'll defo sort the whoopies out, possibly the tree straps, for the Dutch clips you might have to buy from the HF store, Jacks R Better or OutdoorTrailgear.
I might have a spare set of dutch clips knocking about, I'll have a look in the morning. I can definitely sort you out with enough webbing for some tree straps, you'll have to sew a loop in one end though.
For toggles you can use some dowel rod or just a stick off the floor, I'm using ally arrow shafts at the moment.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
1,can i hang my dd travel hammock like in the video
2,can i get the parts here in the uk or from this forum
3,is this what i need 2 x tree huggers, 2 x dutch clips, 2 x toggles,2 x whoopee slings

Ha ... I type too slow ...
1. Yes
2. Most of them, Dutch Clips may be a struggle but there are alternatives
3. If you copy Shugs setup exactly yes

Tree huggers you can make from climbing tape and don't necessarily need the clips to start with, toggles are anything really, whoopies you can buy or checkout threads on here for the materials and instructions to make. Alternatively you can buy most of it from UKhammocks, for example, if you don't want to improvise.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
nice one Rich thats excellent thanx for the info i have only just bought my hammock and only used it a cpl of times but them
Warbonnet BlackBird Hammocks look amazing i want to get this next....Atb Allan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
nice one Rich thats excellent thanx for the info i have only just bought my hammock and only used it a cpl of times but them
Warbonnet BlackBird Hammocks look amazing i want to get this next....Atb Allan

They're a great bit of kit, I'm on my second now :)

If you ever fancy a hang somewhere one weekend and you want to have a look at some gear, I'll chuck a load in the boot and take a drive up for a couple of nights.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Don't like the look of those dutch clips, I'd rather use a D-shackle or better still, a decent knot.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
They're a great bit of kit, I'm on my second now :)

If you ever fancy a hang somewhere one weekend and you want to have a look at some gear, I'll chuck a load in the boot and take a drive up for a couple of nights.

yeah Rich that sounds excellent next time your heading up this way give me a shout am up for that cheers Allan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't like the look of those dutch clips, I'd rather use a D-shackle or better still, a decent knot.

There was a couple of failures earlier on but it was down to the way people had used them. I've always used mine with the u-shape pointing up, like a lucky horseshoe. Some folk were using them the wrong way up but also catching the webbing on the end of the prong and then putting their full weight on 7mm of aluminium. Dutch has added a couple of little notches to stop the webbing catching again, a couple of stitches in the webbing loop does the same thing though.

They do look dodgy but they are safe, same as the amsteel suspension too. It looks wrong but it works.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Dutch clips are absolutely fine.

Used right in a 'P' shape and horseshoed, theres hardly any force one them and they speed up getting set up no end.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've just got a continuous climbing sling that I loop round the tree and I attach the whoopie (home made) to it with a soft shackle. No clips required and quite fast. I use the process of erecting the tarp ridgeline first then hanging everything from there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE