DD Hammock Mods Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Guys,

I'm just thinking about potential modifications to make to the DD hammock systems to make them a little bit more to my taste and just wanted to find out if anyone had done anything similar.

first of all let me describe my idea then you can tear it to shreds! :lmao::hammock: basically trying to make a hennessay hammock style set up with the stuff I already have!

I've added line lockers to the 4 corners of my tarp to enable quick deploy...works a treat, all set up within 50 seconds!

I was thinking would it be possible to add a structural ridgeline to the hammock meaning you can pull the whole thing tight, then clip a DD Tarp to your hammock whoopee slings, since the suspension is already taught due to the hammock ridgeline it wont "sag" when you get in the hammock meaning the tarp and hammock are all one system (kind of like the hennessay expedition set up?) hope that makes sense?

Finally, you could get snakeskins to go over both the tarp and hammock (I've not got the DD ones but do you think they'd be big enough to get both in?meaning when you turn up, you just bang on your tree huggers, clip up the 2 whoopee slings, then unfold the skins and your hammock and tarp are all in one set up, peg out your 4 corners and your done!

Thoughts?

Cheers

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
from what I've read most foks prefer/recommend seperape tarp and hammock snakeskins. Thinking of when wet!! Or, raining, deploy tarp first.

I think I've read that the DD isn't long enough to make a SRL but some folks have done it and it works for them. I've got a Hennessy and just made a seperate ridgeline. Lots on youtube about getting a good setup with tarp over SRL but a lot of people recommend seperate ridgeling for tarp. I felt that was easier. hope this helps.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Better to have seperate ridges line for you tarp and your hammock. A problem is that when using your hammock ridgeline as your tarp ridgeline, when you get into the hammock, the hammock drops down acm or 3 and all your tarp guy lines go slack. Plus, as Momikie says, the structural ridgeline on a DD hammock will only be about 8 ft long, so you would be using your suspension lines to attach your ridgeline. M other point is, perhaps, even more important. You must keep your hammock dry, so in wet weather, must be packed away before the tarp is taken down.

Set the length of the tarp's structural ridgeline to 83% of the total length of the hammock when laid out on the ground. You can get really good ideas from the following web site
https://theultimatehang.com/

or by checking SHug Emry's videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
It can be done but the results aren't great. If you want to try it I'd add strong bungee cord as the tarp RL tie outs and get your suspension as close to 30 degrees as possible help with tarp sag.
Definitely not tarp and hammock in the same snakeskin though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE