My New Toy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
After much hummin' and harrin' decided on a practical option to the canoe dilemma, and went for an Apache self-build. That way if the kids take it out I won't be forever frettin' about them bashing into things, as the FG is far more robust than canvas or ply.

Took a trip to the Wirral and back a couple of weeks ago, and have been steadily putting her together when I managed some free time. this saturday just gone managed to get most of the work done, so thought I'd let you take a peek.

Started with the gunwales, clamping 2' at a time and screwing into place. The outer gunwale I shamfered before fixing to save taking chunks out of the hull
DSCF3843.jpg

Then the decking and carry thwarts
apache004.jpg

The centre thwart, slightly front of midships for ease of portaging
apache003.jpg

Stern and bow seats fixed next
apache006.jpg

And this is where I am, just the gunwale caps to attach and lots of sanding and oiling left
apache009.jpg

Decided i'm going to call her "Le Petite Voyageur" and paint a decal on her bows...

Won't get far at the moment though, as I have yet to carve ouit me paddles.

I can whole heartedly recommend the Apache as a straight forward project and a satisfying end product that really only takes a couple of days to complete (assuming the wife and kids leave you alone). And very cost effective...

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
looks good mate! - am sure there will be many happy nautical miles enjoyed in it.

Will you be able to mount a bow at the front a-la 'duck cannon'?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse

Will you be able to mount a bow at the front a-la 'duck cannon'?

LOL...Can you imagine the green wellie brigade staring at me in my Hiawatha garb floating down the rivers of sussex, bow at the ready...not to mention the competition anglers...

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
:lmao: - Yup! I can see it in glorious technicolour - (their faces puce of course!) :canoe:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
beauty...! How many hours do you think you spend on it? And would you recommend it to someone who has two left hands when it comes to DIY?

Hey Ryan
I suppose I have spent about 15hrs all told, and as all the woodwork is pre-cut by Stu at Apache, the hard bit is done for you. You just need lots of clamps to hold things in place when attaching. You certainly don't need a degree in woodwork, and there is a very useful "idiots" guide on the apache website.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya

Nice work :)

Lovely canoe the apache.

At the risk of giving egg sucking lessons, remember if paddling solo to paddle it backward, you will be nearer the center of the canoe so more stable and easier to steer.... like this...

heeled.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've been looking at those for over a year now, I'm hoping to one day have the money to get one and the time to put it together. Looking good, thanks for sharing the pics with us. Makes me want one even more now! Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Thanks Mark, I agree with you, a lovely boat. And always that bit more special when you have a hand in it yourself.
You're spot on about paddling about front when solo, in fact I had to take it to the extreme last year across Eagle lake, the wind was head on, so I knelt in the stern and used the canoe like a weather vane to beat a tack back to the cabin.
Nice picture BTW

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya

And always that bit more special when you have a hand in it yourself.
Thats very true, I made a couple of paddles last year and love using them.

You're spot on about paddling about front when solo, in fact I had to take it to the extreme last year across Eagle lake, the wind was head on, so I knelt in the stern and used the canoe like a weather vane to beat a tack back to the cabin.
The extreme?

When I switched from kayaks to canoes I was amazed how the wind moves canoes about. I have been blown a long way sideways in the apache a couple of times.

Nice picture BTW
I thought it made me look old!!!!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
By extreme, I mean kneeling in the stern (using it as the bow) so that the length of the canoe is behind you. That way the wind keeps you head on, just like a weather vane. Sitting any where else and you are constantly battling with yaw (I think thats the nautical term)...It was an interesting paddle :eek:

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
By extreme, I mean kneeling in the stern (using it as the bow) so that the length of the canoe is behind you. That way the wind keeps you head on, just like a weather vane. Sitting any where else and you are constantly battling with yaw (I think thats the nautical term)...It was an interesting paddle :eek:

OIC, interesting idea, reduces drag from the boat and easier to keep forward motion I would guess. One for me to try :)

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Hey Ryan
I suppose I have spent about 15hrs all told, and as all the woodwork is pre-cut by Stu at Apache, the hard bit is done for you. You just need lots of clamps to hold things in place when attaching. You certainly don't need a degree in woodwork, and there is a very useful "idiots" guide on the apache website.

Hey Stovie, thanks for the reply. Good to hear that a project like this can be undertaken by novices too!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Nice boat Stovie

If I ever have room for a second boat I'd like to have a go at an Apache.

Trust me, you don't need much room. I'm working on this in a space that is only 5' wide down the side of the house. Threw a tarp over the fence and carried on in the rain...big workshops are over-rated...

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Beautiful, and a sensible colour that won't show scratches too badly. Another egg sucking lesson, but remember fibreglass canoes sink ! I have a similar boat (Birch Creek) and it never occurred to me, until someone pointed it out, that I could lose my boat completely in a lake if the boat filled with water. You will need some buoyancy to be on the safe side.

NS

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Ok a complete novice numpty here. Looking at the pics, both ends look exactly the same. Is the bow more pointed? If not, how do you know which end is which?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE