My New Toy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Hi Essex Monk, still on the look out for the right fittings, but will be attaching when I find what I want...

Joel, many would say the Apache is not ideal for a novice, as its quite responsive and feels unsteady to begin with, but to be honest, if you act positively the boat reponds accordingly...so based on my own experience with this craft, I'd say go for it...

Been out and experimented with a design for the bow, and this is what I've come up with...those that know me will appreciate the logo...It doesn't stand close scrutiny, but from a distance you get the picture...

bowdetailstovie.jpg

Just need to do the other side now...

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but does anyone have the link for Apache Canoes, I tried googling them but couldn't find them, also has anyone ever taken a dog out for a trip in their canoe? Many thanks in advance for any help and replys. Paul

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Many thanks for the link to their website, I don't think my dog would be as still as yours, she is a little bit bigger too (Staffie Labrador Cross - Possibly).

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
heeled.jpg

That's a nice looking boat you've made Stovie.

I've never been in a canoe nor a kayak so please forgive my ignorance, but with reference to Baggy's picture above, the side of the canoe looks awfy close to the water!

I suppose you guys expect to get a bit wet as a matter of course anyway though.

Thanks for the thread Stovie, it's very interesting.

Liam

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
heeled.jpg

That's a nice looking boat you've made Stovie.

I've never been in a canoe nor a kayak so please forgive my ignorance, but with reference to Baggy's picture above, the side of the canoe looks awfy close to the water!

I suppose you guys expect to get a bit wet as a matter of course anyway though.

Thanks for the thread Stovie, it's very interesting.

Liam

Hi Liam
Baggy is demonstrating the "sit to one side" technique, which allows you to paddle on one side and keep a forward motion with very little correction steering. Hence the low freeboard. Sit in the middle and the depth is much greater.
Hope this clarifies the issue...

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ahhh. Thanks Stovie. :D

Having not the longest pair of arms in the world, but longer than a T Rex's mind you, that technique would suit me fine.

Great thread.

Cheers.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE