My New Pipe

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I find that there is something very satisfying in making composite items, made of different materials. This is me latest piece. A tobacco pipe with a cherry bowl, apple shaft and a spacer made from a penny sandwiched between too thin bits of leather. The stem is socketed into the bowl and then epoxied. Fairly pleased with the way it turned out, although with hindsite I should have used slightly thicker leather. Still need to do a bit more work on the inside of the bowl to get an even carbon layer. The quality of the photos isn't too great i'm afraid. (If anyone has any advice on improving the quality of this type of close up stuff using a compact digital camera that would be much appreciated, at the moment I am just using the auto setting with the flash turned off).

4578347226_f4b5897e78.jpg

4578347220_d342456590.jpg

4578347218_76c2a8dbdf.jpg

4577922609_2c5ecd96bb.jpg

4577922599_6efef4ce20.jpg

4577922615_2fe2d4ba07.jpg

4577922627_4f5450c6be.jpg

Last edited:

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
looks good mate

as far as camera's are concerned, there are a couple of tricks.

most have a close up mode (also can be known as portrait). Or something that says Macro. My Point and Shoot (P&S) tells me on the LCD what the setting is best for.

use with decent lighting, sunny day outside is best without making a lightbox (steel is difficult though)

steady hand. Can recommend getting a gorillapod or similar style mini tripod.

Also take lots of shots and maybe use a simple windows editor to crop them (windows picture viewer does on Vista, just click "fix" and you'll figure it out)

good luck

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Like it alot mate!
If you make another ,give me a shout! I am in the market for
an 'expedition only' pipe!!
My best.
Chris.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Nice one mate,

I was thinking of giving that a go myself any advise?
I.E. which wood to use (Can I use oak??)
the bowl? (carve or burn?)

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Like it alot mate!
If you make another ,give me a shout! I am in the market for
an 'expedition only' pipe!!
My best.
Chris.

Chris, I would be delighted to make a bespoke pipe for you. I have a larger cherry bowl ready for a stem, or could make you a new one to your spec. PM me if your interested.

Nice one mate,

I was thinking of giving that a go myself any advise?
I.E. which wood to use (Can I use oak??)
the bowl? (carve or burn?)

There are a few woods that are commonly used for pipe bowls and easy to find in the UK. Cherry is a favourite - relatively easy to carve, fairly common and can often have a very attractive grain. Other fruit woods are good, like apple or plum. Walnut is another. I imagine oak would work although it may taste a bit woody for a while. I have made a pipe bowl from oak, but it has never been used. I made it a few years ago, mainly to test my abilities. It is more decorative than practical...

4578449395_4f8dd91d3f.jpg

Other tips: I'm still not completely decided on a bowl drilling method. I have tried drilling with my largest wood drill (only 10mm) and then enlarging with a dremel sanding drum. It is fairly hard to get a smooth and even finish on the inside with this, at least with the heads i've got. I think the best method for getting an even and carbonised finish is to use a bow drill or a wooden spindle in an electric drill. And it is more in keeping with a bushcrafty ethic. However it is very slow. Sand in with the spindle would definately help a good deal.... but I don't have any sand at the moment. Seems a silly thing to be lacking, but I am on the look out :D. I think maybe a combination of drill bit and bowdrill would produce the most satisfying bowl.

For the stem you can use a piece of elder. It is (comparatively) easy to push out the pith with a piece of wire. Thats what I used for the long spiral pipe above. If you wish to use other types of wood, unless they also have a soft pith, it is more difficult. The apple stem was made with an electric drill and then cleaned up with a red hot piece of wire. If you wish to drill a piece of wood it is best to avoid pieces with pith and just go for a solid straight piece as the chances are your drill will not follow the pith. Drill the hole before shaping the stem in case you do not manage to drill completely straight.

Making the socket is probably the hardest part, and could probably be avoided by... just using epoxy on the butted together pieces, but this just doesn't seem right. IMO glue shouldn't replace a good joint, only strengthen it. Perhaps you could use a thin metal tube inside the wooden stem and running into the bowl... just thinking aloud really.

To get the socket down to the perfect size I find it helps to put some pencil lead on the inside of the hole and push the socket it. The areas that need reducing will be marked. Don't rush it and always keep the two pieces lined up when you are doing this check. It is not the symetry of the socket that matters, but the fit. If the hole is not completely round, the socket should not be either, this is what matters. Hope you understand what i'm trying to say.

Hope this is of some help

Thank y'all for the nice comments :eek:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
.. Just a thought, is there not something a bit 'orrible
or poisonous about Elder!? ( I am sure to be wrong on this! )
Chris.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
.. Just a thought, is there not something a bit 'orrible
or poisonous about Elder!? ( I am sure to be wrong on this! )
Chris.

Elder wood can produce cyanide if eaten. not sure how harmful a dried stem would be and would the tar from the tobacco coat the inside and make if safer? of course smoking itself isn't entirely safe!

(have just changed my profile pic so I can make that statement in safety!)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE