My new custom...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I commisioned this back in April from a German maker, Gerhard Wieland. I'd seen a fair bit of Gerhard's work from the posts he makes on BritishBlades and fell in love with his Norse inspired style and in particular, his intense attention to detail. I think the fit and finish on his knives are among the best I've ever seen anywhere. That's not a throwaway platitude.

I sent Gerhard a photoshop of what I wanted and 7 months later, my knife is finished.

It's hand forged from W1 Carbon steel, with a traditional Japanese clay heat treatment, giving a differentially hardened blade with a distinct hamon. The bolster and pin are bronze and the handle is carved, fossilised sea-cow rib.

204a.jpg

204b.jpg

204c.jpg

204d.jpg

204e.jpg

204f.jpg

204g.jpg

Stunning IMO.

Check out his website...
http://www.wieland-der-schmied.de/

Last edited:

Geoff b

Apr 27, 2008
uk
Whenever i see gerhards work it allways amazes me how he gets that, less is more look from his knives, from the hamon to the slightly caved butt, the whole thing is a work of knife art at its best, very nice indeed

Geoff.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Whenever i see gerhards work it allways amazes me how he gets that, less is more look from his knives, from the hamon to the slightly caved butt, the whole thing is a work of knife art at its best, very nice indeed

Geoff.

The fella honestly blows me away. He used to be a goldsmith and jeweller so I guess he gets his "eye" from that, but it is so rare to find a maker with such a sense of proportion and the skill to carry it through in a project.

Have a look at this set of "work-in-progress" Pictures...
http://www.wieland-der-schmied.de/02_2_material.html

Click on one of the pics to activate the slide show and go through the sequence ...and be prepared to be amazed. I've never seen such a good fit, I think he must be a machine. :27:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Some knives are too beautiful to be used are some are too beautiful not to be used. This is a latter..

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Really looks great. Is it for a collection? or will it get used?

My intention is to use it. The materials are all of a typoe that will look more beautiful with some age and character worn into them, so I will let it just take on whatever patina is it's want - though I may put some effort into keeping that hamon bright. I wont be throwing it about like a frosts mora, but it will be a user.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
You can see from this early work-in-progress pic, that the tang is pretty robust. I'm sure it will take hard use.

martyn%20006emil.jpg

that looks realy good and strong, i always appreciate in progress shots.
will the knife be accompanying you to the woods or will it stay pristine, it deffinatly looks strong enough to use, it looks like you have the best of both worlds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE