My new BBK!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Well, I was going to post soemthing up over the weekend about my new BBK from Alan Wood, but I have been too busy grinding it thanks to a friend who came over on Friday and asked to look at it and then promptly dropped it..........ONTO CONCRETE! :yikes: Needless to say it didnt do it any good and have been trying to get the dings out....almost there!

Once I have done that and we get some good weather for some decent photos I will add to this thread.............

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's an old story. Sometimes I wonder why I bother showing people my knives. It just amazes me when they drop them. One "friend" of mine unsnapped a sheath, turned it upside down, and then was surprised when the knife fell out. :roll:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Can you PM me that guys name and adress please??? :roll: :wink: '
Just kiddin' :eek:): Sorry to hear mate! See that's the reason for NEVER lending your knife, saw, axe etc. :) There are very few people here in the world I would lend my knife to. Perhaps Ray Mears and maybe not even.... :shock: :yikes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jamie said:
Well, I was going to post soemthing up over the weekend about my new BBK from Alan Wood, but I have been too busy grinding it thanks to a friend who came over on Friday and asked to look at it and then promptly dropped it..........ONTO CONCRETE! :yikes: Needless to say it didnt do it any good and have been trying to get the dings out....almost there!

Once I have done that and we get some good weather for some decent photos I will add to this thread.............

Mate, that sucks. Where were the dings? On the edge or handle area?

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Hoodoo said:
It's an old story. Sometimes I wonder why I bother showing people my knives. It just amazes me when they drop them. One "friend" of mine unsnapped a sheath, turned it upside down, and then was surprised when the knife fell out. :roll:
and even more surprised when you kicked him in his dangly bits after he dropped the knife, no doubt :yikes: :nono:

J

Jamie

went down tip first :yikes: several dings along the length of the blade :cry: oh well, look on the bright side, gives me an opportuinity to hone my sharpening skills.............

he will be fine............WHEN HE GETS OUT OF A&E! :shock:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jamie, worry not, a reprofile is relatively straight forward if you want to go that far. If you look in this pic...

awoodbbk04.jpg

...I think you can tell that the edge is hollow ground. nothing wrong with that, but I like flat grinds. So I set about re-honing flat bevels onto mine. It is straight forward, but takes a LOT of time and elbow grease.

Still, I got a cracking edge on it now...

Some pics...

regrind1.jpg

regrind2.jpg

regrind3.jpg

regrind4.jpg

It's a true 0 edge, that's been polished in. It shaves hairs off my hairs. ;)

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Martyn said:
Jamie, worry not, a reprofile is relatively straight forward if you want to go that far. If you look in this pic...

But why do you have to go to all that time and trouble, yourself? Surely, a custom knife should be to the grind you require in the first place?

Burnt Ash

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Burnt Ash said:
But why do you have to go to all that time and trouble, yourself? Surely, a custom knife should be to the grind you require in the first place?

Burnt Ash

I was't that specific one way or the other - Alan made the knife the same way he makes his Woodlore knives - hollow ground.

However, if you wanted one and insisted on flat grind, I'm sure he'd oblige. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE