My new Axe on a budget.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
How do you take a £2.99 special offer Axe and turn it into a gransfors look alike....like this.....The axe started its life as an 0.6kg standard axe with a quality hickory shaft...reduced in price to £ 2.99 in the sale at Argos...take a marker and one Grinder make a couple of cuts and Voilla you have an axe that mimics the Gransfor type of blade and shaft...in fact it looks very much like my brothers £48.00 axe...pics as follows

First pic with guide cut ready for further work

003-2.jpg

Second pic is after the cut.

005-1.jpg

Third pic is finished.

004-2.jpg

what do you think...I am just about to fashion a guard for the cutting edge and later in the week I am going to fine tune the blade....and all for £2.99.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
......well certainly living up to your username aren't you mate! :lmao:

looks good though! - how is the balance now, you've removed quite a bit of weight I guess

Nice change but did you overheat the top corner edge where it's discoloured in the pics?

Every 15 seconds or so we quenched the blade so as not to overheat the edge...after looking at it for a while we realised that it might be the residue of oil on the cutting disk that was burning...but only time will tell...it does not seem to be there after I have cleaned the blade since coming home....must just have been a bit of burn.

......well certainly living up to your username aren't you mate! :lmao:

looks good though! - how is the balance now, you've removed quite a bit of weight I guess

Actually not much maybee an ounce and a half and it feels good to swing...like has beed sugested I am going to sand the shaft and add a bit of spit and polish and use...thanks for looking and any touches welcome.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Actually not much maybee an ounce and a half and it feels good to swing...like has beed sugested I am going to sand the shaft and add a bit of spit and polish and use...thanks for looking and any touches welcome.

sounds good - it's how it feels that is more important than the weight in my book!

I'd sand as has been suggested but oil it rather than use any polish or varnish - I use linseed oil but any thin oil would do the trick ;)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Personally I find that bit that projects upwards the most useful bit of the axe, it's very similar to the £80 gransfors carving axe. These come as blunt as a banana but with a good grind put on them they are an excellent carving axe.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Personally I find that bit that projects upwards the most useful bit of the axe, it's very similar to the £80 gransfors carving axe. These come as blunt as a banana but with a good grind put on them they are an excellent carving axe.

I agree Robin. - it is a handy little axe.

good job though mate.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi.
I just had a look at the Argos website, but cannot see this axe.
Do you know if it is still for sale, or do you have the catalogue number by any chance?

was going to cut mine off but after Robin pointed tha above out a while ago i left it and jsut cleaned it up as i did want a carving axe ;)

Argos2.jpg

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi.
I just had a look at the Argos website, but cannot see this axe.
Do you know if it is still for sale, or do you have the catalogue number by any chance?

it is entirely possible that the members of this website have bought out the entirety of Argos's stock.

check ebay - there have been several cheeky gits buying several and selling them on at an inflated price.
like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quality-Hicko...asdware_RL&hash=item53e1c9571a#ht_1601wt_1137
atb andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE