My natural/traditional kit

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
This week I was able to add some more items to my gear.

The first one (or two) was a set of Swiss all leather ammo/beltpouches, dating from the same year as my backpack!
These are very dry and stiff, so a few treatments with leathergrease are in order.
naamloos1-1.jpg

Next item is a 1950's USSR mapcase, which is made of leather too. If I recall correctly they started using fake leather from the '60's onward.
It, too, will need a few treatments with leather after a good washing up.
It measures 2x A4, when opened.
naamloos4-1.jpg

naamloos3-1.jpg

The final piece is a leather belt from the former DDR.
It had some thin lowquality leather backing stitched to it, which I got rid off. This took away the lowquality stitching with poor quality yarn, too. It had a high gloss to it, which I sanded off.
On the plus side it has a leather crossbelt, which keeps the belt in place when loaded with gear, such as a hatchet or pouches. It was also quite cheap.
So, again only leather with a few metal fastenings.
naamloos5-1.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice work mate like the ammo pouches and the belt - planning to see if i can pick one up myself at W&P

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Here are my latest additions to the kit;

I added a wool (replica) German M43 fieldcap. This should keep my head warm and by lowering the sides my ears and neck, too.
According to Finnish sources, (being Martti, who roams this forum too :)) these caps were deemed to be sufficiantly warm in the winters there, during the Finnish-Sovjetwar.
Thus it should be warm enough in the place I am going to live...
2naamloos5.jpg

2naamloos4.jpg

A couple of pairs of Swiss wool mittens, 2 for me and 2 for the Mss.
These have leather on the insides of the hand, so no loops or holes, wile using them out there.
And if they keep fingers warm in the Swiss Alps.....
CH_Handschuhe_wolle_Faeustlinge.jpg

A former East German breadbag from the late '50's, made out of canvas and leather. The backpack is a little small, so I need a place to carry my lunch in.
It can be carried on your belt, but with the (unfortunately replicated) carryingstrap you can use it as a shoulderbag or foragingbag.
2naamloos1.jpg

2naamloos3.jpg

A wooden kuksa;
2naamloos6.jpg

And finally as a great gadget an old messing compass, just for good measure and it looks good with the rest, too!
2naamloos7.jpg

I'm with John in that I like your philosophy...

After many years expensive experimentation, I came to the conclusion that I just don't get on with titanium, polyester, nylon, gortex and all the rest of it...So I've gone back to waxed canvas, wool, stainless steel and ventile.

I appreciate that there are forum members who like running up mountains and need modern ultra light kit - but I'll stay heavy, slow but comfortable!

Some nice stuff here - thanks for showing.

The final piece is a leather belt from the former DDR.
It had some thin lowquality leather backing stitched to it, which I got rid off. This took away the lowquality stitching with poor quality yarn, too. It had a high gloss to it, which I sanded off.
On the plus side it has a leather crossbelt, which keeps the belt in place when loaded with gear, such as a hatchet or pouches. It was also quite cheap.
So, again only leather with a few metal fastenings.
naamloos5-1.jpg
love the Sam Browne belt! where did you get it?

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Great collection of stuff, I love the boots. I will be making myself a pair exactly the same with leather bought from Ian Brown, after I have found your moccasin thread. Although I now cannot do without my modern ultra thick sleeping bag, I am trying to get together some waxed cotton, wool and wood things, although I must say, being a woman, I prefer the cut of modern clothes (can't do baggy I am afraid) and the lightweight option of classic materials engineered in a modern way. I have a few projects on the go however hoping to combine the two ideologies. I think with everything it is a case that people start out with convenience, i.e. they go to the local outdoors shop and buy what they need, and after time they start replacing that initial kit with things they really LOVE.
btw, I am thinking of buying this deer hide as an under blanket, what do you think about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Ne...4533572055862856&_qi=RTM742988#ht_1212wt_1141

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The sam brown belt actually turns out to be a Czech officers' belt and I got it from the German ebaysite. Cost me about €15.

Hi Tawnyhare, who cares about baggy out there? Baggy means room to manouevre and insulation.
I am looking forward to seeing your projects! Sounds interesting.
That deer hide as an underblanket? wow, that'd be fantastic, but personally I wouldn't. It looks way to good to serve as an underblanket. It deserves a place as an eyecatcher.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Deer hide works well but I've found sheepskin to be almost as warm as well as tougher and more versatile.

Great collection of stuff, I love the boots. I will be making myself a pair exactly the same with leather bought from Ian Brown, after I have found your moccasin thread. Although I now cannot do without my modern ultra thick sleeping bag, I am trying to get together some waxed cotton, wool and wood things, although I must say, being a woman, I prefer the cut of modern clothes (can't do baggy I am afraid) and the lightweight option of classic materials engineered in a modern way. I have a few projects on the go however hoping to combine the two ideologies. I think with everything it is a case that people start out with convenience, i.e. they go to the local outdoors shop and buy what they need, and after time they start replacing that initial kit with things they really LOVE.
btw, I am thinking of buying this deer hide as an under blanket, what do you think about this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Ne...4533572055862856&_qi=RTM742988#ht_1212wt_1141

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm loving that kit Ron, not sure about the retro M43 cap though.

I had one when I was a kid courtesy of a relatives sojourn through North Africa and Europe, it raised a few eyebrows I can tell you.

Liam

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi Liam,
I don't care much. When I'm running around in the woods, I'll be alone mostly and those who accompany me, know me.
I will not go do my shopping with it, though...

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Recently I bought got some Dutch woolen army blankets and a canvas Dutch army shelterhalf from 1953, which is in excellent condition! These are the same as the US shelters/tents.
I will treat that with lineseedoil, transforming it into an oilcloth shelter/tarp.
This way I'll always have an instant lean-to or I can transform it into a bedroll.
I have some ideas for the latter, but will have to wait with making it.
I had to take some pictures from the net, since all my stuff is in boxes right now.
4812778.jpg

shelter_half.jpg

The army blankets are a lot thinner than the civvy ones I have, so I will have to mix them up, according to weatherconditions, but for about €10 each, you can not go wrong. And these are 100% wool!

To pack everything together I got myself a bunch of small leather straps, which originated from the Czech army.
20xLederriemen.jpg

So all in all I have a bedroll/place to sleep for about €20.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great work on the naturals, I prefer them too.
I must, as most of the time with blankets I get cold when out but I still keep trying. Alls well if you get every step of the prep right ie no ale, big fire and fuel too last, warm food in the belly, with a good large blanket wrapped up well. Shelters pitched well regarding wind is a big thing too. Ive used half a polish canvas poncho but with a naturally made bed there wasn't enough room. Mind, that was in a storm during late October. Not a bad sleep though as I took plenty of woollen clothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE