my local cycle path

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
I dont know if this belongs in the loverly grub section or here.
I live in a place called calne in wiltshire and there is a six mile cycle route from calne to the next town chippenham and from there a five mile cycle route along the canal to a place called melksham.
All i can say is if you have such cycle paths in your area please use them.
These two cyle paths alone house a larder that has really surprized me.
Not to mention what the canal has to offer.
My main goal in life is self sufficiency ( tom goode style)
And in mapping the flora and forna along these two paths i feel i have taken a huge stride towards this goal.
Added to my garden and my allotment plus the other wild hotspots i have found food wise the supermarket has been duly sacked with the exception of salt and a few other seasonings.
Cycle routes rock, if you have one local to you, by all means cycle down it, but be sure to keep an eye out for the goodies running along side it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the tip Lofty, what kind of stuff have you managed to fill your larder with from these paths ???

I like free food !! :D

I have a canal near me but it`s heavily urbanised for about 10 - 12 miles each way, hardly anybody goes down there these days apart from the odd fisherman.

Rich

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
Also, if you use canal paths, apply to British Waterways, (I think) for the cycle permit.

It's free, but the best reason for applying for it is that the more people who have them, the more proof they have of people using them and the more money they're given to maintain them.

I know it's a bit of a hassle to get a permit, but at least it's free and keeps these wonderful places maintained.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
shewie

Theres loads mate, i will list a few of them but i have also secretly planted a few fruit bushes etc in the periphery of the cycle tracks (a bit cheeky of me, but nature deserves a helping hand and if somebody else picks some of the fruit im only too happy to share.
Nettles, dock, good king henry, dandelion,clover,wild garlic, found two lots of mushrooms but only small quantity, blackberrys, damsens, and theres oak, beech a multitude of usefull woods, grey squirel, rabbit, loads of insect cuisine, signal crayfish, fish.
And just out of interest but not for the plate theres a breeding pair of kingfishers floating about (my favourite species).
edible plants on the bank of the canal im not sure of ive just started catalogueing and mapping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE