My little girl is growing up.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I read and had a smile, I can remember my two girls one's a nurse the other a police officer sleeping in the garden as little tots and me in the middle in the tent. When they grew older, one night sleeping in the shed as the tent was full of their friends, the wife thought they might be abducted, ha. Happy memories make the most of them!!!!!!!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Spam, you look like a very proud Dad, and rightly so.

Took my daughter (age10) out last night for her first night in a hammock, in a real wood (well, local Scout Camp).

DSC00447.jpg

Just as the Sun came up, the dawn chorus started and she said "Dad, hit the snooze button on your alarm clock!". Looks like she inherited my sense of humour as well. :D

DSC00443.jpg

She was amazed at how comfy the hammock was and also how much more you notice when not in a tent.

Simon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's a giant tarp! Looks like a great way of setting it up though, I reckon I may need to get one that size myself! I have two Magikelly hammocks with two Wanderingstar Underblankets, so they are perfect for me and one of my many girls to sleep out under. Come the summer, I probably won't even need a tarp unless we have a re-run of last year!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
That's a giant tarp! ...

Its 4.5m x 4.5m Tatonka polycotton. Not the lightest bit of kit I own, but then it will only be used when car camping.

I just need to get another underquilt now as she did not get on with the Thermarest in the hammock and ended up taking it out after about an hour of wrestling with it.

Simon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I know what you mean, I cannot get on with a sleeping mat in a hammock, I always slip off of it and end up getting cold!

It seems a bit cold today, I'll see how the afternoon shapes up and if it gets a bit warmer, I may sleep out with Abi in the Zeltbahn in the garden. It gives me the freedom to duck indoors if she doesn't like it!

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
My little boy is 3 next month, it really is such a great age. He always wants to go to the woods and can spot dog, horse and badger tracks. He also tracks his own little feet back to the car!! He seems to know instinctively how to set up sticks to make a fire, maybe I watched a little bit too much of Ray Mears when I was pregnant!
It'll be fun to see all the little ones at the Bushmoot.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Hey Spamel do the mighty Wehrmacht still use the zeltbahn design then?,I know they used them from atleast 1939 to 1945 and Iam guessing the 1914 to 1918 too but yours looks to be Flecktarn pattern!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah, it is flecktarn. The older Zeltbahns were triangulr, this isn't. It has two triangular door sections on the end of the rectangular main piece. There are millions of buttons! The two sections button together along the ridge, with the poles and pegs nesting together in a seperate bag. Each sheet then packs with it's poles and pegs into another bag which can be used with a single sheet to form the hood onto a cape. It is a pretty versatile bit of kit that I need to get more use out of. I paid something like 15 euros for the whole lot brand new from Raeer in germany.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Yeah, it is flecktarn. The older Zeltbahns were triangulr, this isn't. It has two triangular door sections on the end of the rectangular main piece. There are millions of buttons! The two sections button together along the ridge, with the poles and pegs nesting together in a seperate bag. Each sheet then packs with it's poles and pegs into another bag which can be used with a single sheet to form the hood onto a cape. It is a pretty versatile bit of kit that I need to get more use out of. I paid something like 15 euros for the whole lot brand new from Raeer in germany.
Thanks for that Spamel,looks like you had a right top bargain there!:)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Spamel
Have fun while you can my daughter goes back uni today after a couple of weeks at home. Do as much as you can with them now as these times pass quickly.

Continue to let them play outside a lot the world is not as scary as is often made out.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Not in the least bit bushcrafty, but my daughter (as pictured earlier in the thread) has just won the team event at Blackpool Tower Ballroom - Proud Dad moment coming on! :D

Best of both worlds IMHO, a partner on my many walks and overnighters and a girly girl to boot! :cool:

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE