My Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Love them or loathe them here is my kit list (I love them coz I'm nosey and want to see what people have in their bags :))

Lowe Alpine Strike rucksack which I think is 45 ltr + 20 ltr with the two side pouches attached. Not the lightest weighs around 1.8kg but solid and does the job nicely.
I also keep a whistle attached to the outside of the bag, between the main compartment and side pouch.

20130804_210936.jpg

The contents:

photo.jpg

I tried using one large dry bag for a rucksack liner but found having everything in their own dry bags makes things easy to find. Also when its pouring down you can just put stuff on the ground and it will remain dry.

1. Sleeping bag and liner (kyham ultralite)
  2. Vango 3/4 length self inflating mat
  3. DD 3x3 tarp, guy lines and alloy pegs
  4. UK military bivi bag
  5. Inflatable pillow/cushion (weighs little and helps me sleep)
  6. UK military goretex waterproof trousers (also have jacket but not shown in pic)
  7. Spare fleece
  8. Esbit 985ml aluminium stove, sea to summit Ti spork and knife, home made wind shield and small bottle of meths
  9. Trusted old leather gloves
  10. Possibles pouch
  11. Tools etc (see below)
  12. MSR Dromlite 4ltr water carrier (still got a rank taste from this any ideas anyone?)
  13. Micro towel (I keep my Silva exped 4 compass in here when not using it)
  14. Binoculars
  15. FAK
  16. New jungle type hat (works well with the midge head net)
  17. OS Explorer map
  18. Midge head net
  19. Smidge midge repellent (used a few times so far so good)
  20. Highlander snood (great bit of kit when midges are out or there is a cold wind lots of different ways to wear it)
  21. Mora clipper with firesteel attached by using rubber tube
  22. Hickory handled small axe (either machete or axe depending where I'm going/doing)
  23. MOD machete (solid and decent size but rubbish edge on it, currently trying to mod this just now)

The contents of the tool bag.
The silver things at the bottom are 2 pencils taped up with duct tape to help stop them braking and the black bag has toilet paper a lighter and alcohol hand gel.

20130804_203625.jpg

No.10 the green possibles pouch contains:

Foil survival blanket
Waterproofed matches
Fire steel
Lighter
Wet fire tinder
Small candle
2 resealable plastic bags
Duct tape
Mini button compass
Water purification tablets
Wire saw
Small multi tool
Signal mirror
Needles and thread
Mini FAK
Fishing kit
Whistle
Snare wire
Small LED torch
Pencil + paper
Small tub of vaseline

The kit chops and changes depending on where I'm going and doing but that's pretty much it.
It all goes into the rucksack with a decent bit of room to spare and one side pouch left empty for food and water.
Excluding food and water it all ways roughly 12.5 kg.

Comments welcoming and please share what you are carrying.

Thanks,
Stu

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
so how much does it all weigh when packed :)

I wondered how long before that questions lol. I cant moan as im a gram counter but if the OP can lift it and haul it then all is good.

Nice load out. Im at about 60l with a granite gear blaze to carry it in.

Warbonnet Hammock
Warbonnet superfly
Down under quilt
WM down bag
Silnylon Bathtub floor

Similar other content to yours but tools, stove and clothes change with circumstances.

I cant see your gloves :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
so how much does it all weigh when packed :)

OP says 12.5kg (at the bottom of the post)...

Looks like a nice rounded set up, not a million miles from the stuff I take.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Love them or loathe them here is my kit list (I love them coz I'm nosey and want to see what people have in their bags :))

Lowe Alpine Strike rucksack which I think is 45 ltr + 20 ltr with the two side pouches attached. Not the lightest weighs around 1.8kg but solid and does the job nicely.
I also keep a whistle attached to the outside of the bag, between the main compartment and side pouch.

20130804_210936.jpg

The contents:

photo.jpg

I tried using one large dry bag for a rucksack liner but found having everything in their own dry bags makes things easy to find. Also when its pouring down you can just put stuff on the ground and it will remain dry.

1. Sleeping bag and liner (kyham ultralite)
  2. Vango 3/4 length self inflating mat
  3. DD 3x3 tarp, guy lines and alloy pegs
  4. UK military bivi bag
  5. Inflatable pillow/cushion (weighs little and helps me sleep)
  6. UK military goretex waterproof trousers (also have jacket but not shown in pic)
  7. Spare fleece
  8. Esbit 985ml aluminium stove, sea to summit Ti spork and knife, home made wind shield and small bottle of meths
  9. Trusted old leather gloves
  10. Possibles pouch
  11. Tools etc (see below)
  12. MSR Dromlite 4ltr water carrier (still got a rank taste from this any ideas anyone?)
  13. Micro towel (I keep my Silva exped 4 compass in here when not using it)
  14. Binoculars
  15. FAK
  16. New jungle type hat (works well with the midge head net)
  17. OS Explorer map
  18. Midge head net
  19. Smidge midge repellent (used a few times so far so good)
  20. Highlander snood (great bit of kit when midges are out or there is a cold wind lots of different ways to wear it)
  21. Mora clipper with firesteel attached by using rubber tube
  22. Hickory handled small axe (either machete or axe depending where I'm going/doing)
  23. MOD machete (solid and decent size but rubbish edge on it, currently trying to mod this just now)

The contents of the tool bag.
The silver things at the bottom are 2 pencils taped up with duct tape to help stop them braking and the black bag has toilet paper a lighter and alcohol hand gel.

20130804_203625.jpg

No.10 the green possibles pouch contains:

Foil survival blanket
Waterproofed matches
Fire steel
Lighter
Wet fire tinder
Small candle
2 resealable plastic bags
Duct tape
Mini button compass
Water purification tablets
Wire saw
Small multi tool
Signal mirror
Needles and thread
Mini FAK
Fishing kit
Whistle
Snare wire
Small LED torch
Pencil + paper
Small tub of vaseline

The kit chops and changes depending on where I'm going and doing but that's pretty much it.
It all goes into the rucksack with a decent bit of room to spare and one side pouch left empty for food and water.
Excluding food and water it all ways roughly 12.5 kg.

Comments welcoming and please share what you are carrying.

Thanks,
Stu
I have the strike and love it. Cheers for sharing :thumbup:
No torch Stu ? ;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Hi Chisseler

Got a petzl tikka + 2 head torch in the small red dry bag it's a good piece of kit and covers most of my needs. I have just ordered an ultrafire 12w 1800lm cree T6 LED torch off ebay tho, so will see if thats worth carrying or noe

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I used to use the same tarp and a bivi. I eventually ditched the bivi. It was too much weight. The tarp was large enough to provide adequate protection for me.

I personally like having a filter. It allows you to process much nastier water than the water purification tablets.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Only used the water tabs once or twice, usually carry 2ltrs and boil water as needed. What bivi do you use now? I do have a kyham bivi bag which is lightweight but I feel it would be a bit prone to puncturing from pine needles.

I used to use the same tarp and a bivi. I eventually ditched the bivi. It was too much weight. The tarp was large enough to provide adequate protection for me.

I personally like having a filter. It allows you to process much nastier water than the water purification tablets.

rg598

Native
I don't use a bivi at all. Even when i was using the tarp, I eventually left out the bibi. The DD 3x3 was enough. Now I use the flysheet from a GoLite Shangri-La 3, which offers even better protection.

The bivi I used to use was the one from the US MSS. It was too heavy and I didn't see a need for it.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I need to learn how to pack ! I use a eurohike wilderness 65l, and I carry the following
Sleeping bag lightweight bivvy and roll mat all in one
DPM Basha
10th Wonder hammock
homemade BGS stove
Homemade billy with mug inside and filter bag
4 days food+1 day ration
2 litres water
hatchet
mora clipper
bahco laplander
coffee sugar and powdered milk
small carving kit
hunting and fishing kit + 2 bodygrip traps
first aid kit

and in my possibles pouch I have my
firesteel, tinderbox, catty and ammo, small torch, pipe and tobacco, matchbox and striker,compass and pocket watch and I struggle to fit it all in

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
You have a 4lt bottle, but I don't carry more than 2 litres when hiking. unless you are somewhere where there is not much water (does such a place exist in the UK?) I'd say carry less.

I am even going to carry less the next time I go out, 1.5lts or 1.75

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE