My Igloo in England!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
I would just like to add that I think that this is an absolutely magnificient achievement that most of us would feel positiv:You_Rock_ely chuffed about making... well done, and great post.

Shankly

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Jon,

Excellent effort. What a great way to spend a day.

My wife and I are sat in front of the fire and she, not a massive bushcrafter, was well impressed with your efforts and wanted me to say well done.

Great to see people rising up to the great weather we are having at the moment.

Lovin it!

Barry

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Well done that man! Well done! :) As you say, goes to show what you can do if you really try, or more simply put, if you get off yer behooky and attempt it!

Cheers,

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Superb, you've done an excellent job there goodjob

Might I offer some advice which will hopefully make things easier on your next build, I notice that you appear to have left out a block on the first row to form the door?

rather than leaving out at block on the first row, which severely weakens the load bearing potential of the subsequent rows, construction of the door is best left until the walls of the iglu reach a height that you can no longer swing your leg over to step inside, at which point you simply choose the location for the door and cut it out with the saw, a door with an arched top is obviously the strongest structurally.

Before finishing the Igloo i was putting the cap stone on top and it was so heavy and i fell against the structure and destroyed half of it.

from the looks of your pictures, you would have benefited from one more row of blocks before fitting the cap, this final row appears to defy gravity as the tilt of the blocks is disturbingly counterintuitive, but they will hold if trimmed and aligned correctly; the final 'cap' block will then be much smaller and subsequently lighter, this final block is fitted in place from the inside (as with all the other blocks) by tuning it end on, passing it though the hole from inside and then turning it horizontal before dropping it gently in place.

This doesn’t really make sense in writing so here is a photo sequence:

passing the block out from the inside:
P1280283.jpg

Rotate into place and lower:
P1280284.jpg

Trim with a saw from the inside until all sides sit flush:
P1280288.jpg

Finished:
P1300307.jpg

I assume your Iglu is still standing and you have had the opportunity to try spending a night in it, if so you could now make an addition and experience the benefits of having a raised sleeping platform inside, which i notice is absent from your photographs.

A raised platform allows you to sleep near the roof where the warmer air collects and provides a lower level for the cold air to fall away into, making the shelter considerably more comfortable.

Build it opposite the door, wide enough to comfortably sleep on, and high enough that you can sit on its edge like bench without the crown of your head touching ceiling when sitting with your legs over the side and your head dipped forward a little. This puts you high enough to benefit from the warmer air, whilst allowing you to sit up to organise your equipment without dislodging frost for the ceiling, which would otherwise melt on your bedding:

P1010175.jpg

This is a quinzee rather than an Iglu, but it gives a better idea as to the optimum dimensions for a sleeping platform (also, note the candle arrangement):
P1010058-1.jpg

Once built Iglus are exceptionally strong:
P2010350.jpg

A group of use are off to Canada in March to visit Mors and amongst other things practice building Iglus and other snow shelters under his expert instruction, would you like to join us? I’ll PM you with the details

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Does an ice layer not then act counterproductively ? Stopping the insulating properties of the snow ? and just acting like a cold box ?
I thought that was one reason not to heat them up very much since you don't want the snow to melt into ice :confused::confused:
Happy to be proved wrong, now I'm curious :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Normally Toddy a hole is left in the ceiling for smoke and condensation to escape. The ice inside seals the cracks. The Norwegian Army instructor told us (back in the mid 80s) that the proficient can build one single handed with exact fitting blocks in 30 mins. It took 4 of us about 4 hrs! An igloo is intended to be a semi long term affair and not overnighting or survival.

Incidentally, he believed the quickest shelter was a snow bank dug out. No carrying of snow, no cutting, no aligning/fitting, just dig out, do admin then sleep.

I know how difficult igloo building is (but I'm definitely no expert) and Jon has done a fantastic job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE