My ideal stove set-up

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Having been inspired by Waylands fine stove set-up I spent many an evening with all my billy cans and various components sprawled out over the floor and the notion of creating my own perfect set-up based around my two favourite methods of cooking, open fire and Trangia. Eventually I found that 2 Trangia pots fit inside a MSR frying pan so that became the starting point.

I then found that a clikstand shield fits around the outer Trangia pot and everything else fits inside the inner pot.

and here is everything laid out and grubby after a week's expedition to the Scottish Highlands. The stainless steel MSR frying pan with a folding handle which keeps the lid secure, 2 Trangia pans, Trangia pan handle, Clicstand with Trangia stove and windshield, my favourite wooden handled spoon which I managed to loosen the handle of so that it can slide on and off, Clipper lighter, fire steel and trustee Opinel for striking sparks and chopping food. Lastly a Trangia drawstring bag which keeps my backpack nice and clean.

and finally everything assembled and ready to go

I find that the stainless pan is easy enough to perch near the heat on a fire although I may add a wire to the set-up at some point which would make it possible to hang the pan over the flames as an option. I deliberately have not crammed a folding cup into the nest of pans for the simple reason that I prefer to clip an army issue plastic cup to the outside of my backpack where it can be got to in an instant, I also use one of the Trangia pans as a bowl for eating from. There is still enough room inside for a film canister filled with cotton wool dipped in vaseline for fire starting as well as some small kindling. It may not be the prettiest stove set-up but it is versatile and suits my own needs very well.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I like the look of your spoon. I cut down a wooden spoon to fit inside my Trangia but one which seperates into 2 peices would be better. Where did you get it from?

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
That looks great!

I was wondering if you could do a review of the Clickstand (with windshield) as I'm planning on buying one but I can't find any reviews of it!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
That fits together as a nice set.

If I'm not mistaken it's a MSR Stowaway pot but I can't work out which size, when I was checking them out the size it appears to be, 775ml which holds closer to 900ml when full to the brim, on paper seemed just a little too big for the Clikstand windshield, I'm guessing it's not now and wishing I'd ordered that size rather than the smallest.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
That looks great!

I was wondering if you could do a review of the Clickstand (with windshield) as I'm planning on buying one but I can't find any reviews of it!

Hi Goliath, I will try to put together a proper review of the Clikstand at some point but what I will say now is that I thoroughly recommend them.
They're not exactly cheap at £38.95 plus postage for the Clikstand with windshield from Outdoor Code
http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=clikstand&x=0&y=0
or $50.40 if you order direct from Clikstand in the U.S. (not sure about import duty) http://www.clikstand.com/order.htm.

Mine was almost half price second hand from a wanted ad in the classifieds on this site (thanks Littlebiglane ;) )

As far as using the Clikstand is concerned it takes a couple of minutes to get used to assembling it and taking it apart, after that it goes together very quickly with a satisfying 'clik' as the burner plate locates.

I have only needed to use the windshield a couple of times so far when it has been blowing a hoolie, the rest of the time it manages well with the wind. It's obvious really but a good idea to leave it for a few minutes to cool down before touching it after use but if you use a Trangia you will know about these things already.I can safely say that I will never use the standard Trangia stove set-up again.

Hope that helps you in making a decision. I really can't speak highly enough of the Clikstand and love it's minimal and high tech design. buy one, you will not regret it :D

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
If I'm not mistaken it's a MSR Stowaway pot but I can't work out which size, when I was checking them out the size it appears to be, 775ml which holds closer to 900ml when full to the brim, on paper seemed just a little too big for the Clikstand windshield, I'm guessing it's not now and wishing I'd ordered that size rather than the smallest.

If you say the 775ml holds closer to 900ml to the brim then I reckon I have the 1100ml version, I have just filled it right to the brim and the capacity is actually 1250ml, dimensions are; just under 17cm diameter and 10cm to the top of the lid. I haven't used the MSR on the Clikstand because I have 2 Trangia pots which fit nicely. The MSR is for the open fire.

http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/stowaway_pots.asp

Hope that helps Glen

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Hi Goliath, I will try to put together a proper review of the Clikstand at some point but what I will say now is that I thoroughly recommend them.
They're not exactly cheap at £38.95 plus postage for the Clikstand with windshield from Outdoor Code
http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=clikstand&x=0&y=0
or $50.40 if you order direct from Clikstand in the U.S. (not sure about import duty) http://www.clikstand.com/order.htm.

Mine was almost half price second hand from a wanted ad in the classifieds on this site (thanks Littlebiglane ;) )

As far as using the Clikstand is concerned it takes a couple of minutes to get used to assembling it and taking it apart, after that it goes together very quickly with a satisfying 'clik' as the burner plate locates.

I have only needed to use the windshield a couple of times so far when it has been blowing a hoolie, the rest of the time it manages well with the wind. It's obvious really but a good idea to leave it for a few minutes to cool down before touching it after use but if you use a Trangia you will know about these things already.I can safely say that I will never use the standard Trangia stove set-up again.

Hope that helps you in making a decision. I really can't speak highly enough of the Clikstand and love it's minimal and high tech design. buy one, you will not regret it :D
Thanks for you response :) I don't use a Trangia (yet) but I have made my own popcan stoves (improved versions :p) which work almost the same.

I do have a thought about the windscreen. Wouldn't it be lighter and just as good when you'd use a windscreen that covers like 3/4 of the whole thing? Since the wind never comes from all sides at once. That way, you can turn the windscreen to the wind without any disadvantages (and it's easier to check if it's still burning etc through the 'peephole' ;) ).

Just my thoughts ;) It would save some extra weight :nana:

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I do have a thought about the windscreen. Wouldn't it be lighter and just as good when you'd use a windscreen that covers like 3/4 of the whole thing?

I haven't weighed the windshield but it is really very light anyway when you factor in the weight of the burner/meths/pans etc, it wouldn't really be worth it IMO. Do you realise that the windshield locks together to form the circular shape? if you cut one down it wouldn't form a circle (or a 3/4 circle) so easily.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
If you say the 775ml holds closer to 900ml to the brim then I reckon I have the 1100ml version, I have just filled it right to the brim and the capacity is actually 1250ml, dimensions are; just under 17cm diameter and 10cm to the top of the lid. I haven't used the MSR on the Clikstand because I have 2 Trangia pots which fit nicely. The MSR is for the open fire.

http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/stowaway_pots.asp

Hope that helps Glen

It did indeed thanks I think your right about your MSR size as this weekend I got my 775ml MSR.

The 775ml version is a good size for solo cooking on using the Clikstand and still big enough to transport it all in with a little room to spare. I'm very impressed with this pot, it holds more than the Crusader mess set, locks better, better shape for cooking, is cheaper and easier to improvise a hanging chain for. On the downside the locking mechanism seems more likely to catch on things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE