My idea for a advent calendar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
My little boy lives with his mum and I decided to do an advent calendar for him but what I will do is leave a small box on the doorstep each morning with something different in it each day that I find. It will be a leaf or nut or something and then he has all day to find out what it is from books and then phone me at the end of the day to tell me what it is. I will text his mum the answer any way just in case they struggle. I thought it would be a better idea than those shop brought ones with chocolate in them. Today is an oak leaf to start with.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Kong, that is a brilliant idea mate, best leave a little chocolate right near the end though!

Good luck with 25 different ideas, or is it me just being lazy?

Ivan...

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I don't know if I have thought it through well enough I just hope I can find enough things I am open to suggestions

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I don't know if I have thought it through well enough I just hope I can find enough things I am open to suggestions

I am sure he is a bright boy, so for instance you may have cooked your own goose! By putting an oak leaf in, so now you can't do an acorn for tomorrow, as he will think his Dad's a bit lazy!

Is he old enough to understand our wildlife and some of the things that happen to it? If so access to a bit of squirrel tail, easy to identify bird feather, cramp ball maybe.

Ivan...

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I am sure he is a bright boy, so for instance you may have cooked your own goose! By putting an oak leaf in, so now you can't do an acorn for tomorrow, as he will think his Dad's a bit lazy!

Is he old enough to understand our wildlife and some of the things that happen to it? If so access to a bit of squirrel tail, easy to identify bird feather, cramp ball maybe.

Ivan...

That is a good idea I have some fox tail and there is a dead magpie I shot the other day don't know if his mum will like that but I could try

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Cool idea!
I am sure you'll come up with plenty of stuff if you can give the answers yourself.
Leaves, nuts, twigs, stones, bark, a feather. It shouldn't be to hard.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
That's a fantastic idea! I'm sure you'll have as much fun finding things for him as he has receiving them.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Cool idea - One thing though is to make sure that he has teh books to help him identify it otherwise it may demoralise him if he can't as I assume this is all about giving him a sense of achievement when he gets them correct.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
His mum has lot of my books on all sorts to use as inspiration for artwork so they should be able to tell what they are I hope

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE