My grandfathers gun

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
My much loved grandfather passed away a month ago. He was a very very knowledgable man when it came to nature animals plants trees. He uses to hunt to feed his family (my mum when times were hard).
I found out that his airgun was given to a gun shop to sell for my grandmother. So I am trying my upmost to sell odds and ends to buy it off the shop as I can't bare the thought of someone else owning his gun other than me. There's no real point to this post I thought I would share my predicament.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good luck Tomcoles, I really hope you make it. Have you spoken to the shop to see if they'll hold it for you for a set period?

ATB,
GB.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would be a poor show if they could not hold it for you considering the circumstances..

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Good luck getting it back Tom. Some things really should stay kept within a family and passed down, and that certainly sounds like one of them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good luck qith getting it back Tom.

Not being funny but surely your Grandmother could ask for it back to hand on to you if you were to speak to her about what it means to you

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou everyone for you kind replys. I managed to get hold of the shop and they have agreed to give it back so I am very very happy. I will obviously give my grandmother the money for it so she's not out of pocket. The important thing is I will have my grandfathers gun. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. As it obviously has huge centimental value to me. Happy outcome :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great news.
See if the same shop will give it service for you if you dont feel capable. Also post some pictures ;)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
That is a great result for you Tom
i'm lucky enough to have been given my grandfathers air rifle and air pistol whilst he is still with us so i don't have that worry, but i can emapthise and would of been sweating bullets (sorry for the pun)

Yes I was very worryied, That I may have lost the gun. I can't wait to hunt with it. It will be like having him with me. Like the good old days when I was a boy. I may well have it serviced at the end of the day I want it to last my life time. I certainly would never sell it. I will defiantly add photos and post them as I remember it. It's not a shiny new gun by any means but that's why I want it so much. I believe it's a daystate pneumatic or alike. I can't really recall as I haven't seen it for a while. I know it's only just under 12ft pounds as the Gun shop had to chrono it before they could put it up for sale in there shop

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Congratulations! I understand just how you feel. I have three guns that were family heirlooms. My Granddaddy's shotgun (passed down to daddy and then to me) as well as Daddy's shotgun and Mama's shotgun (which she I turn had inherited from a great aunt)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Here's some pics of the gun I have a bottle for it too
mu3ypupy.jpg

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
No not an antique he owned it for quite a few years its a webley fx 2000. Its scary accurate. You could hit a 10p at 35 yards with very little experience. Should make a great hunting / bushcraft over night tool. Lot of rabbits me thinks. Yummy yum yum

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You could hit a 10p at 35 yards with very little experience

I should hope so too with that sized scope and being PCP...:)

Open sights are normal for ranges upto and including 300mtrs, but at the greater ranges the targets tend to get a bit bigger. Not with a pellet gun though...

I do use telescopes for hunting though, but more for shot placement :D

Nice looking rifle though, I hope you put it to good use.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I should hope so too with that sized scope and being PCP...:)

Open sights are normal for ranges upto and including 300mtrs, but at the greater ranges the targets tend to get a bit bigger. Not with a pellet gun though...

I do use telescopes for hunting though, but more for shot placement :D

Nice looking rifle though, I hope you put it to good use.

Yes a clean kill is number one priority and a scope helps with that alot. It will defiantly be put to good use I have to find a few permissions first then I am away.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
This was the sight I was met with when taking my 13yr old out for her first "hunt" early last year IIRC

7244294156_441cb1ac9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Something in the region of 90 rabbits in one field, moments later there were none, so we waited until a few came out again and she got her first kill with a head shot at about 20mtrs.

7251444278_f0a565bae6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The other one was one of mine...

Happy hunting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE