My first thing ever! Nettle cordage!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
But before I go on... because I do rather go on... I have a confession to make. This is not just my first attempt at making cordage. This is my first attempt at hands-on bushcraft at all! Before today I inhabited the lofty world of the Theoretical Bushcrafter: one who inhabits libraries or the couch in front of the TV and gleans information from books and documentaries, never applying any of it but preferring to observe from afar with feet up, mug of tea in hand, sandwich on standby while others get dirty, wet and cold.

But no more. Today I got stung! Actual physical sensation! You don't get that from a book (not the good quality paper, anyway).

So, speaking of stinging, back to nettle cordage. I recorded my efforts at various stages of the process for your viewing pleasure.

I heard that moan!

Just shut up and read it anyway. Suffering is good for the soul!

First, a picture of my intended victims

Myintendedvictims.jpg

Ain't that pretty? If only they knew...

My keen eye for observation tells me that these plants are probably what most people would call "green" nettles. I've read that the red ones are best, but I don't got none of those.

Having identified my prey, I proceeded to harvest a selection of plants using the nearest available sharp edge (I lack a poncey bushcrafty knife).

StanleyKnife.jpg

The stems were then stripped. I discovered that this goes much more quickly if one takes one's gloved hand (I'm a wimp) and runs it back from tip to base rather than working up the stem, plucking each leaf.

Then we come to the fun part: crushing the stem and splitting it. And look, I've grown a pair of balls! (Become brave enough to take the gloves off, that is.)

Splittingthestem.jpg

Then comes the bending and breaking the pith and peeling it off. Wow, it came away very easily. The end result:

Theliberatedfibres.jpg

Surprisingly strong stuff! I wrapped it around my thumb and yanked and twisted and fiddled and pulled and it was as good as any twine or string.

I then started to rub my thigh. I did this for a while but the nettle didn't turn into cordage. It just lay there on the lawn, so I placed a strand between my hand and thigh and started rubbing again. Magic! It went all twisty!

Gettingknotted.jpg

It kept untwisting, so I tied a knot in it :)

And after working in a few extra strands and rubbing some more, this was the end result!

Ta da!

Nottheprettiestcordage.jpg

Okay, so it's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's a result, yes? I could, theoretically, tie my boots on with it, right? But as I was wearing slippers at the time, I decided to tie up some tomato plants instead! I've also left a few strands in the greenhouse to dry out to see how they look tomorrow.

So, after all my fun, the left-overs:

Left-overs.jpg

What can one do with the pith? Anything? Doesn't look very appetising. I did seriously consider nettle tea, however, but the leaves looked a little old for that and some bird had been horribly ill all over a lot of them.

And that was my first ever bushcrafty thing what I done, ever!

Chuffed? Well, humbled actually. Especially when I look around these forums and see all these terribly advanced things going on, like achieving cold fusion using three strips of willow bark, some moss and the stone from a cherry.

But for all things, there is a beginning.

And an end.

And gosh, ain't you glad that this is the end of this post, ay? :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant lad, :D

That waste stuff makes great compost or liquid feed for your tomatoes :cool:

And the strands you have drying in the greenhouse will be all shrivelled up tomorrow.
So, soak them for a minute or so and then take a long length. Find a point about 2/3rds of the way along the length and twist it there and then fold it over on it self. It'll twist itself together neatly.
Now stick that twisted bit in a drawer or shove a garden cane, or a tent peg, through the loop, anything that'll keep it in place and leave your hands empty to twist some more. Once you've gotten a bit more experienced you won't need to tether that end but it makes it simpler for the first few times.

Look at the twist you have made and seperate out both sides of the strand, now twist them the other way to the laid (that's the bit that's finished) cordage, then let them roll together and they'll do so adding length to your finished bit of cordage. You just keep going :D
The 2/3rds bit means that you get to join in one new strand at a time, and not have to do both sides at once.

It's addictive though, and astonishing just how many things you can make decent cordage from........try dried out crocus or over wintered lobellia......astonishingly good :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks for posting this, it made me get outside and try this again. Every time I try it I get different results, bar one. I tend to get stung no matter how hard or firm I grasp the darn things... :lmao:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Crumbs - nettle string is a bit of a baptism of fire! Well done for putting up with the stings and persevering anyway!

Toddy's instructions are really good for actually twisting the strands into string - you'll be pleased with the result if you try it that way.

I did a quick search on google and found this image to illustrate what she says a bit. The link is quite good too (if you click on the picture, it should take you to the site).

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
on my to do list.....the never ending to do list....

glad you managed to get out and about, it makes learning all that theory worthwhile...even if the price you pay is stinging hands...now no book can describe sensation....you just got to feel it ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Excellent site Cyclingrelf, thanks for that. I've now bookmarked it :)

After trying to do willowbark cordage last week I finally figured out where I was going wrong and that was it, there was no stopping me, 4mtrs of cord inside an hour :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Great stuff, the start of a long & fascinating journey...

Your nettle prep looks spot on - nice whole stems of fiber in one peel.

As for methods of producing twisted string I favor this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXW95Ux-4GE

Ok he is preparing & using bark - skip to the twisting technique if you need to. This method works very well with any fibre & has a great rhythm to it once you have learned it - nice & quick but also easy to maintain an even tension.

Of course as with most things there is no right way but a few...

All the best.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Thanks for the encouragement, and the advice. It should help me refine my technique. Just to show how immature I can be, my first thought upon viewing the finished cord was that it looked more like a left-over piece of Spiderman's webbing!

I was going to try weaving the remaining strands but needed to make more. Unfortunately, it rained today and I chickened out :-(

As to what's next, the thought occured to me that a length of decent cord is the first step towards constructing a bow drill set. Isn't it odd how most people seem to make them out of found materials until it comes to the string, at which point they produce a length of twine or unlace a boot?

So, next on the list should be perfecting the technique and researching what locally available woods are suitable for the various components of the drill.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE