my first spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi guys I'm pretty happy with how my first carved spoon came out. It's a bit wonky but happily it wonks to the right so its nice for a left hander! It's Hazel by the way which was dry but fine to work.
I'm looking forward to doing more now so any feedback would be appreciated. Ta! ☺

WP_20180320_07_07_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20180320_07_08_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20180320_07_08_27_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
That is a very nice looking spoon! Be warned - it is an addictive hobby. I can't look a a piece of wood now without wondering what it would be like to carve a spoon from.

Reactions: Sieddy

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Thanks for your kind words fellows. It's great getting positive feedback from such a distinguished bunch of whittlers! ☺

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Nice first spoon.

My advice would be to spend more time at the beginning planning the design if your objective is to get a perfectly symmetrical spoon.

I like naturally free form spoons. I tend not to spend much time marking out and worrying about the porportions.

The process of chilling out whittling watching the spoon emerge is rather restful.

Reactions: Sieddy and Macaroon

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm with Wayne on how I view my spoon carving! relaxed and let the wood take me where it wants to go....

I have to say though that's a great first spoon goodjob
You might be able to have the bowl a bit thinner, that would allow a little more comfort in the mouth in use. A lot of spoon carving for me is making it comfortable, how it feels in use, in the hand, and in the mouth, while making spoons I regularly put it in my mouth to see how it feels and refine based on that.

Reactions: Sieddy and Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE