My first (solo) knife...pic heavy

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
A while back I realised I wanted a smaller, thinner knife for smaller, more fine carvings. I couldn't afford the prices to buy one and I thought it'd be a fun project so I decided to buy the blade online (£10) and make one myself. The wood is spalted beech which came from a mates wood pile and which I thought had lovely grain to it. The leather for the sheath came from a trade and the brass loop was kindly given to me by Dougster.

The handle is very chunky I know, but I really hate it when knife handles are too small for my hand so I like them nice and big. The sheath I wanted to have some contrasts in, hence the white thread on brown leather.

I say solo as I've done a Dave Budd knife course before..I also wanted the sheath of this to match my other knife that I made on that course.

Thanks for looking :)

null_zps3c66963e.jpg

null_zpsa1c7faf6.jpg

null_zpsff5708fe.jpg

null_zpscc23c8cc.jpg

null_zps5623f6a3.jpg

null_zps60f95121.jpg

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thanks guys.. It has a stick tang which I cut off so it is about a half tang. I figured it doesn't need the extra strength of a full stick tang as it won't be put to any hard work.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great-looking carver, HH, that's a lovely handle; I like the way you've used loops instead of box stitching on the sheath - very nice indeed!.......................atb mac

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of that, the wood is superb, one thing I would do if it was mine is to remove quite a lot of wood from the front end so as to make it more suited as a carver.
Forgot to mention leather work is nice as well.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thanks for the kind words guys.. Hugo I did think about making it a more traditional, narrower carver shape, yet decided on a much fuller handle to suit my hand better. Next time I think I'm gonna have a go at making a more traditional shape and then see how the two compare!

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Nothing better than self made gear, the handle looks great I personally prefer a slightly bigger grip on a whittling knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE