My first Opinel

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You have not heard of the "coup du savoyard" then, which the instructions tell you about. You bang the bottom end of the thing until it comes loose. It works.

I have heard about it plenty of times and done it myself. It is still an unnecessary frustration to deal with, and sadly it doesn't always work. I have had to use pliers before!

There is also the other extreme of being extremely loose as well. I don't wish to have to use a pouch/elastic band/etc if carried in my pocket but also don't wish to run the risk of cutting my hand again when putting my hand in my pocket. That 'flaw' is why I reground one of the locking collars to have a lock shut function, something which is now added in production (I'm not suggesting that it's my design but more one of those times where people arrive at the same conclusion independently) but I've found the ring doesn't always stay in the locked position.

Still love them though. ;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Leon, on Hennie's it says the no.6, 7 and 8 are 1.5mm thick and the no.9, 10 and 11 are 2mm thick. I was sure my no.8 was thicker than my no.7 though but won't know unless I find it in the woods today?

Steve

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I must say that owning blades of varying prices from the sublime to the ridiculous I think that my little Opinels offer the most bang for their buck. Simple, take a brilliant edge, cheap, comfortable to hold, light and little to go wrong. More and more its in my pocket despite trying to rotate my EDC. Just 'cause they are so good.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Phew, I found my no.8! Was lucky too as it was in the leaf litter and quite well hidden but I spotted the shiny collar. It has swelled up and the blade is stuck fast so I see now the problem with these knives if you get them wet!

The blades lined up...

Steve

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Wasn't there a thread a while back on Opinels where it was suggested that the handles (including inside) and the pivot end were given liberal coatings of oil (linseed, danish etc) to reduce the swelling problem ????

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Wasn't there a thread a while back on Opinels where it was suggested that the handles (including inside) and the pivot end were given liberal coatings of oil (linseed, danish etc) to reduce the swelling problem ????

It does reduce the problem, but if the knife's wet enough for long enough the moisture eventually finds a way in.

It's not a massive problem though, usually it's not too difficult to keep a pocket knife dry :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
@Shaggystu..............agree totally. They are good knives, especially if they are used within their capabilities

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I've had a couple of Opinel knives over the years, I bought my wife and son one when they needed a knife for camps.
The opinel is the knife that I recommend to cub parents as it is ideal for smaller hands to hold, the swivel lock is easy to operate and it's not too expensive if they lose it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE