My first "no-stitch" sheath - with my Amboina and Damascus steel knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, I don't often post stuff that I have been making, but I am after some tips for improvement in sheath making.

The following pictures are my first attempt at a "no-stitch" sheath - with my Amboina and Damascus steel knife which I made some time back.

The knife is a small carving knife in a kinda Scandi style. It is based upon a Damascus steel blade by Poul Strande, but everything else is made by me. The handle, starting at the blade end is made of buffalo horn, nickel silver, camel bone, nickel silver, amboina burl (natural) and finally capped with camel bone. Although the type is a "no stitch sheath", there are in fact 4 stitches in the belt loop.

20664585025_240a44199a_b.jpg

20476571930_cdd0563696_b.jpg

20655373392_9d78f32216_b.jpg

20655373982_0d0f029d69_b.jpg

20638327366_9a68331eff_b.jpg

20476581078_ac52b508fa_b.jpg

Generally the sheath went together reasonably well. Its all about planning the size, number and location of the holes to correspond well with the tags that you create on the other side of the sheath. I realise now that I didn't thin the leather enough, and that the hole spacing wasn't perfect. But it works :)

I was a bit tested by the roll in the seam - it would have been nicer if I could keep it straight. Any ideas why this happens?

I based my work on a blog site: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com Its a great site and full of practical information. For the instruction on this type of sheath search for 'tuppi', or 'juha nikki'.

Thanks for looking - Bob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's come out really well. Simple and classic. You've done a nice job. The knife is a bit of a stunner too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Ahhh....so thats how that is done with the wooden end to sheaths. Easy when you know how eh..

Thanks for the link bud I will definitely be adding this to my list of things to make. I reckon making one for my Mora will be on the cards!

Stevie

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Thanks for the comments all :) I still have a nice carbon steel Lauri PT blade that is waiting to be made up into a knife. I will have to get my supplies out and play with combinations until I settle on a suitable mixture. Perhaps something more traditional scandinavian.....hmmm....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE