my first knifes i made myself

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i have made these knifes from o1 flat ground stock.i cut out the profiles the filed the bevels in by hand :eek:i done the HT today in the bbq with a convector heater for air.kept them in till they went a nice cherry red ,until they lost there magnetism then put them back in for another 30 secs, they were quenched in cooking oil,then later i tempered them with a blow gun,till the went a stawish colour.the HT has left a textured pattern on them and i,m finding it really hard to rub it down now.:confused:.i have really enjoyed doing this,and learned everthing from the forums and youtube.any advice or critisism welcome,thanks.
Picture2130.jpg

Picture2128.jpg

sorry for the pics,i need a new camera.maybe santa will bring one.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
No criticism Gill
Only congratulations on a job well done, looking forward to seeing teh finished articles now.

Adictive ain't it!

Ogri the trog

it is buddy.i,m looking forward to putting the handles on,i have a few different materials,black and red micartas ,black g10 and some nice woods .

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work mate.

If you spray wd40 or something similar and wrap some wet and dry around something hard and flat ( smaller is better) and give it a good rub. It comes off better with the wd40. Best thing to do in future though is sand the blade to say 400 grit before you harden it. Get a good finish first and it comes off much easier afterwards.

Hope you sort it.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good work so far.

As for photography your camera is too close to focus and take pictures in natural light without flash it really helps.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
i tempered them with a blow gun,till the went a stawish colour.the HT has left a textured pattern on them and i,m finding it really hard to rub it down now.

Never thought of using a heat gun - I've used a blow lamp in the past which is a bit fierce (SWMBO doesn't like the idea of tempering in the oven).
If you're finding it hard to rub them down, good. It means they're nice and hard again :bigok:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE