My first knife rehandling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Guys

Here, in all it's glory, is my first attempt at re-handling a knife - in this case a Bernie Garland bushcrafter. I know it's a long way from perfect but I'm chuffed as it turned out quite nice and fits my big hands just right. Any hints or suggestions gratefully accepted.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I just wondered why RE_handling, probably me being pedantic. Still a cracking job though.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks both of you. The reason was, I'd had a few conversations with Bernie and he made the knife exactly the way I wanted it..........but I never told him I had bloody big hands and preferred a bigger handle on my knives. Stupid oversight on my behalf. I definately wanted it as a user, as it's soooo good, so I thought I'd try and rehandle it myself and if it all went pear shaped I'd send it back to him.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
To be honest Shewie I've absolutely no idea!!!! haha. I ordered some ebony from a guy on ebay and waited a week or so for it to get to me, when it didn't the guy kindly sent me 2 different sets of scales as a replacement. When I asked him what they were, a week later, he said he'd forgot what he had sent out. I love the patterns in it myself and hoped someone on here could shed some light as to what it was for me.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Looks like aboinya burl.
Have you given it a final sanding? I'd suggest very fine steel wool or 1200g sandpaper or micromesh and then a coulple of coats of danish oil.
Very good job.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone.

Cheers Bob, it's nice to know what it might be as I really do like the wood. I had sanded it down using 600 grit I think and then a couple of coats of Danish oil but I think you're right it does need some more finishing.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
it looks perfect to me:)
btw how do you find the curved blade compared to a strait one?

pete

Thanks Pete,

It was the looks of the knife, in particular the belly, that drew me to it in the first place - I just thought it looked beautiful. I have found it to be an excellent user and more than capable of doing anything I needed it to. It's just what I want from a knife - and it even fits my hand nicely! haha

Cheers

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good job on the handle.:D

Only suggestion would be to take photos outdoors in daylight to improve the detail shown as flash is terrible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE