My first hammock setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

13rett

Jun 26, 2014
Leicestershire
I have just received my new hammock only waited about 42 hours for delivery so I'm well chuffed so I have a DD camping hammock with tree huggers and whoopies and a DD 3x3 tarp. My plan is to use 3mm paracord for all my tarp lines and ridgeline I know many people who do not like this but as a starter setup I want to get out without spending more money (for now) but was wondering if I could use the DD webbing from my hammock as a hammock ridgeline until money allows me to spend a extra £20 on extra cordage. I know I could spend more money and have lighter gear but I still need sleeping bag's etc as I have just come from using a Czech bedroll so weight is not really a worry at the moment. Thanks Brett

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
yes, dont see why not mate. should be able to get enough cord for your needs for very little though, 100ft, will do all your needs with a bit left over for other things too

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Sounds like a good set up, and it might turn out to be all that you ever need. If you do want to improve it in the future though, it will also give you a good idea of what to start with first, and which direction you want to go.

Cheers, Michael.

13rett

Jun 26, 2014
Leicestershire
Thanks both I just wanted something to get me started then started reading then realised that people love hardware. I'm a big bloke so wanted tree huggers and whoopies rather than standard cord but more peace of mind really I'm still 5/6 stone lighter than the rated load and want to loose weight but feel better with what I have got and I can always upgrade as and when I have the money.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Personally I wouldn't use the webbing. It's bulky and I'm pretty sure there would be too much stretch. Also I'm not sure it will work with prussiks, if that is what you use. I think £20 for cordage is a bit much.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Why use paracord at all. You won't need that strength on your lines, pick up some cheap nylon cord at your local pound store. It will be plenty strong enough for ridge and guy lines.

13rett

Jun 26, 2014
Leicestershire
Thanks both, nylon cord is something I might get for my tarp ridgeline and guys to be honest I over looked that as I already have paracord.

I was going to use the webbing as a hammock ridgeline to set the sag so don't need any prussiks unless hanging gear from the ridgeline where I could always use a mini carabiner.

I know I could just get Amsteel to use as a hammock ridge line but if I was to do this I could just use amsteel for all my lines, This is why I say £20 on cordage my mistake I was thinking £1 a foot not a meter so atleast it's cheaper that I thought :confused:

13rett

Jun 26, 2014
Leicestershire
I have seen a lot of people saying a hammock ridgeline is good to keep some slack in you hammock but others do like a tight hammock suppose it is a personal thing. :)

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I'd skip the stretchy nylon ridge-line as it isn't needed but just helps to get the correct sag and pitch angle that much easier. A structured ridge-line needs to dyneema or nothing IMO.

Your DD setup is fine, not the comfiest or lightest but hammocks are complex at first and a bit of experience in cheaper kit will really help you know what kit you'd prefer should you wish to upgrade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE