My first G.B

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Think its time I took the plunge and bought a decent axe for winter (its not long now :p ) chores.

I did consider the SFA, but being a big fella, am more inclined to go for the Scandinavian due to the longer haft. I want it mainly for splitting smaller sections of oak, where a splitting axe would be the better choice I guess, but... I would rather have an axe than a splitter.

That may sound odd, but hopefully you know what I mean!

Grateful for advice, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I went for the GB Wilderness Al, it's on RM's site.

A bit pricey but the size, weight and feel of it a perfect for chores around camp.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I myself have an SFA. I rarely use it during the summer, and when I do its for those occasions when logs need splitting. It's a nice size for anything upto 4-5 inches or so, but it will start to feel very lacking if you plan to split a decent amount of wood. My advice would be to go for something bigger like the scandinavian, or a splitting axe, but then you would probably find that you would need something smaller for other jobs.

The SFA is a jack of all trades, but I've not found it to be a master of anything yet. Swings and roundabouts.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm a modest 6-2, but I find the Scandinavian Forest Axe much more my size than the SFA. I also think it has a nicer handle and balance. I find the SFA awkward and dangerous - I prefer the Scandinavian and then a small hatchet for carving etc.

BUT the GB splitting axes are really superb! I have the large one and it eats anything.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a Cegga version of the Scandinavian to go with my SFA and the extra thickness in the head enables better splitting. See if he has time.

I'm up for a meet your side of the bridge in the Autumn if you want to play.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I too have the Scandinavian, a much better axe IMHO. Can still choke up handle and carve well due to the excellent balance. Get one, you will not be disappointed!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The Scandinavian Forest Axe is great, it seems to do a lot of the work for you. Nice and cheap as well compared to the big names...I'd still love a Cegga though!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for the reply guys :)

It looks like the Scandinavian is the preferred choice, with no criticism towards the SFA. I might add the SFA to the collection in spring as a pack axe.

The wilderness looks very nice, just above price of what I was planning for a heavy chore winter axe.

Doug, as said previously... You would be more than welcome to the winter camp. It wont be long now before the meets kick off again ;)

I'm up for a meet your side of the bridge in the Autumn if you want to play.

Cheers, al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, it turned up today :)

Ordered yesterday from Uncle Ray, here when I go home from work. I can see where the extra spend is worth it. The whole axe is spot on!
Shaving sharp (rough) but nice grain down the haft, heads spot on- alignment wise and for a large axe, its very nimble to hold...

I've already polished the bevels up to a mirror finish, its now hair popping sharp. The steels very nice to work.
Now for some heavy reading of Mors axe section, the GB axe book and some small, slow chopping.

I learned today that GB make very, very nice axes, and Autosol works wonders for the final strop.

A very happy al.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Any excuse for another sharp!
Just don't spend hours stropping this like you do your knives.
I have the SFA but agree that you being a big fella you should cope well with the extra size.
Have fun and hope you two have a nice time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE