My first full flats and stainless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks.:)

I was asked by a chap if i could make him 3 blades with full flats in stainless steel. He also wanted a new design for prepping fish and other general work.

So this is what i came up with, its going to be my Bird and trout design. 2 are polished, one is a satin finish. The steel is sandvik 12c27. It was my first time doing the heat treatment with stainless, so a few new things to learn before i did it. One lesson i wont forget is how sharp the bloody foil is that you must seal each blade to HT. Razor blades have got nothing on this stuff, you dont even feel the cut. Got the HT bang on first time, 59RC all the way. :)

The handle is shaped in such a way that the hand is kept within the handle area if wet or slippy from fish slime, with a little thumb ramp for helping with push cuts as per his request. The hand can also be dropped back to the swell at the butt to help with rough filleting larger fish as they will be used a lot on salmon.

The blade is 4.25" and the total length is 9". The steel is 4mm thick

Anyway, hope you like them.

All comments welcome, do you like the design? Would it work with a scandi grind?

Thanks
Mark :)
P1010987.jpg

P1010986.jpg

P1010988.jpg

P1010989.jpg

P1010990.jpg

P1010970.jpg

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
RC testers are an essential in knifemaking really. No way to know what they are coming out at otherwise. Folk can see how well a knife is made, but not how well its heat treated. Now i intend to provide RC test results with each knife. :)

Blimey, still not cheap but then if you're selling enough knives it's probably worth the investment.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I really like the look of those. Full flats are nice in my opinion. I'm sure whoever ordered them will be chuffed!

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
i like those alot ,could i ask a question i am looking for something similar but with a specific legnth of blade also on depth as well would you be able to help ? i really only want a blank so not sure if you do this or only make them from start to finish, great work by the way, wayne

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks for all the comments folks. :)

Wayne - yes i could help you out with that mate. Drop me a PM with the details and we can have a chat about it. :)

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I really like those, Mark! It's good to get away from the 'traditional' woodlore clone type of blade, and those, I think, would fly out if you put them into production. Personally, I'd still prefer to see them in 01, just a personal thing though.

Nice design.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks mate. :)

They are a design i fully intend to add to my range, these were stainless as per request, but 01 versions will follow. The chap they are for likes to handle them up himself. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE