My first DIY Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey folks,

Well I finally went for it and made my own under blanket.

It is made from cotton quilted fleece.

I didn't follow 1 particular plan but got ideas from here and there .

I got my rectangle of material and cut it to the right size. Next I cut the curves for the bottom.

Bias binding was then added to the 2 long sides then the edges were folded back on themselves and sewn to create a channel.

Next the curves were sewn to give its final shape.

I was umming and ahhing for ages on what to do for the ends as I needed them to scrunch tight so in the end I added bias binding to the edges first then bought some ripstop nylon to create the end channels.

To hang it, I am using 3mm paracord on the side channels and 5mm bungees on the end channels both with cord locks to keep it either in place or scrunched up for the ends.

It was all hand sewn ( Took a fair bit of time) as the machine decided to give up the ghost.

At the Glen Tanar meet last weekend each night the temps dropped below zero. It performed excellent, it took around 10 min to warm up but once the dead space heated it was lovely and warm.

I'm glad I finally got on with it certainly made a hell of a difference.

I am now working on a top half to make it modular so it can be used either with or without.

ok pictures are worth a thousand words:

b83f3a.jpg

w9xpbt.jpg

25i83ec.jpg

35bgrx1.jpg

2cem25w.jpg

n3lkx.jpg

30w1fuw.jpg

6e3omq.jpg

2wexn4y.jpg

2vn4efl.jpg

1g3hqb.jpg

20iih02.jpg

5uie1l.jpg

wv8yuq.jpg

awte9t.jpg

bdvbco.jpg

any questions or criticisms fire away.

thanks for looking

Craig

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one mate, looks like a good one.

i just finished my home made one, i used a sleeping bag from tescos, as i worked out this was cheeper then buying all the fabric, and save loads of time.

At sometime this summer i will be making a thicker one from scratch tho.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey folks sorry for the late reply. I have been busy and haven't had the time for the forums I frequent.

wolfmanuk: Yeah go for it mate, If you have a decent sewing machine you'll find it a lot quicker.

JohnC: Yeah it does have a shower proof coating on it. I have been wondering weather to go the whole hog and waterproof it completely.

Big Stu 12: yep I was going to go down that route but there was material left over from when the missus made me a cloak so i just went with that. How low a temp have you managed with yours??.

Geordienemisis: At the Glen Tanar meet I used a sleeping bag aswell as the temps went below 0 but I think for spring and certainly summer i would be ok with a light top blanket.

thanks for looking

atb

Craig

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Big Stu 12: yep I was going to go down that route but there was material left over from when the missus made me a cloak so i just went with that. How low a temp have you managed with yours??.

Not sure how low the temp was but it was cold enough to see breath easyly during the day light, and it got cold enough for gloves, if i remmeber right the puddles had ice on, lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE