My first bushcraft project - a sycamore kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Maybe not the best thing to start with, but love the look of these so thought I'd give it a bash!

Came across a log of sycamore in the wood today so its my wood of choice although I think they are usually made from birch. I'm using a cheap mora knife at the moment along with my laplander saw and finding the carving tough going (haven't started carving into the bowl yet). Is sycamore maybe considered too hard for a kuksa, or maybe I'm just being a wimp!? Also is it worth keeping it in a bucket of water when not carving to prevent it drying out making it harder to carve.

I plan to do the bowl using the coal burning technique and a spoon knife - on its way, thank you ebay:)

Here's progress to date...

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Good on you! Sycamore is a good wood to use, it is used for bowls quite alot.
As for keeping it in a bucket of water, all you need to do is keep your shavings and keep the wood with them in an open plastic bag when your not carving, also keep it in a place away from direct heat so it wont crack.

Good luck and remember to keep posting how you get on.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
20101024-11fg52tek86qgkas8fydfgbahp.jpg

there you go fella, nice start to, I keep small bits in a box with all the chippings to keep it kind of damp,

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks Sawyer, I use photobucket to post images, you just copy and paste the img code, there are other ways though.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers boys. Will certainly keep you all updated on Mr Kuksa's progress.

PS - How do you embed images?

Yo! all i did for yours was to copy the ink you posted into the insert picture text box, if you look just above the reply box you will see a few little graphics, click the one that looks like a little picture, delete the http thats already there and paste in you pics addy from your blog, or if using photobuck just paste the "IMG CODE" directly into your post, hope that makes sense chap, British Red has written a good guide to pics in the how to section,

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Progress on Mr Kuksa.... (maybe a kind soul could embed, didn't seem to work for me):

http://img.skitch.com/20101028-mbf2p7jw7qqc6i36m8nyjsec3t.jpg
http://img.skitch.com/20101028-jdgytr5rjrmf16se1bx5bk37em.jpg
http://img.skitch.com/20101028-gc69nuq7kbgj2yxerhu26yrext.jpg

Thoughts - hard work, but addictive :), blisters all over the hands (do you guys wear gloves or am I just a wuss?).

Need to work on my symmetry lol and will be picking a much bigger piece of wood next time as its more like a spoon.

Not the prettiest of things, but hey we all have to start somewhere.

Now back to some more carving then sanding.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking good fella

I think you're missing the "www" off your links though

Saying that there's something on skitch that says you need to post the link itself ??

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looking good, better then my first attempt. But in my defence my Chestnut burl had issues...

Make sure to dry it nice and slow, be a major gutting experience if it splits. Sand after fully dried as can change shape a bit whilst drying mine did, so patience needed!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looking good so far!, Your hands will get used to the carving the more you do, just make sure you take regular breaks and your tools are sharp.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Progress on Mr Kuksa.... (maybe a kind soul could embed, didn't seem to work for me):

20101028-mbf2p7jw7qqc6i36m8nyjsec3t.jpg

20101028-jdgytr5rjrmf16se1bx5bk37em.jpg

20101028-gc69nuq7kbgj2yxerhu26yrext.jpg

Thoughts - hard work, but addictive :), blisters all over the hands (do you guys wear gloves or am I just a wuss?).

Need to work on my symmetry lol and will be picking a much bigger piece of wood next time as its more like a spoon.

Not the prettiest of things, but hey we all have to start somewhere.

Now back to some more carving then sanding.

Hey dude, you were close just click the next button over, the square one with tiny tree in it,

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Nice work mate.

Gloves don't stop blisters. If you're having a hard time of it check your knife for sharpness. A bit more of this and your hands wiill harden up. Rubbing them with alcohol might help harden them but that might just be an old wives' tale.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work mate.

Gloves don't stop blisters. If you're having a hard time of it check your knife for sharpness. A bit more of this and your hands wiill harden up. Rubbing them with alcohol might help harden them but that might just be an old wives' tale.

Nah - drink the alkyhol (after you stop carving for the day) and you do not feel the blisters!
Nice work mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE