My First Bug Out Bag :) Opinions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Here is a picture of my set up, i must stress this is my first attempt at one of these and most of the kit is brand new and untested so this may evolve over time as i get a chance to test it all out and see what works and what doesn't. I would regard this as a level 1 BOB with the essentials, i will be putting together a level 2 BOB which will be a PLCE yoke and pouches worn in addition to this and carrying extra gear to further equip me.

the contents are as follows:

Snugpak response pak

On right belt - 58 pattern water bottle in pouch
On left belt - 58 pattern water bottle pouch (utility/food)

Lashed on below - rolled up poncho tarp and issue goretex waterproof trousers

Lashed on top - 10m of 550 paracord and an issue goretex bivi bag

Clipped on the front - mora clipper and steripen journey

you can also see loose is a mobile phone and a button compass woven with a paracord in a triple corba stitch into a bracelet, phone goes in pocket, compass goes on wrist

Front pocket - 4 pegs, a folding saw and room for other items yet to be added

Left side pocket - hand sanitiser and zippo tin (sealed with duct tape) containing:

maglite solitaire
mini lock knife
fishing kit
snare wire
wire saw
2 x condoms
glow stick
spare batteries
sewing kit
2 x handwarmers
heliograph
gerber knife sharpener
whistle
morse code guide and survival tips
candle
pencil
money
waterproof matches
waterproof paper

Right pocket - fuel bottle with meths, buff/bandanna, reusable space blanket

Main pocket - trangia mini, foil wind sheild, , spork, carrier bags, inhaller (im asthmatic) midge net, gerber suspension multi tool, fire kit in bag (cotton wool buds, dryer lint, vasolene, lighter and fire steel), roll top dry bag, bungie cord, 3 x mini carabiners and a trek mates wilderness first aid kit to which i have added the following:

super glue
wet wipes
antiseptic cream
pain killers
antibiotics
antihistamines
sun cream
ear plugs
midge repellant wipes
mipore dressings
compeed blister kit

all constructive criticism greatly welcomed!

Peter

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I like it, pretty good. Only criticism I have at the moment is regarding the Mora, strapped outside in full show may not be ideal. Does bottle pouch include the crusader cup? You need something to cook with!

I am making similar bag up at the moment using a larger version, will post when complete... Guess mines a level 1-2 BOB as it has expandability.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...a button compass...morse code guide and survival tips...

You need a proper compass (and the skills to use it).
Morse code guide. why?
Survival tips. These should be in your head. :)

It is cold and wet where you are, wrap your belt and pouches in a rolled up woolen coat or blanket or perhaps a donkey jacket or military great coat (then loop some cord through that roll so you can throw it over your shoulder), then you'll have something to keep you a bit warmer. :D

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2007
Why not, and it is a crazy idea, just use a belt kit like a PLCE type or one made by dragon supplies you can have all that then all you would need is a PLCE side pouch set up as a day bag and your good to go. Looks like to much to flap about that could fall off and lose when moving. With the belt kit all your stuff is secure you can live out of it for up to 48hrs before you need to replen it and the day sack will give you another 48hrs and carry you bivi, poncho and/or hammock. This is what I have in the back of the jeep if I need to ditch it.

Just my 2p worth and no offence meant not bad for a first attempt.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Morse code guide. why?
Survival tips. These should be in your head. :)

I dont understand the need for the morse code guide but the survial tips could be useful. In a bug out situtation, panic and desperation combined with cold and other factors may lead you to panic and be confused. Instead of shouting " what do I do", a set of small tips or guides (especially if written by yourself) could come in handy to keep you on the straight and narrow, especially in the immediate instance.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Thanks R.Lewis, i do have a mini trangia stove in the main compartment, it includes a pot and pan

Sandbender the morse code guide came with the survival tips, they are in my head but it doesnt hurt to bring them anyway! I have a casio pro trek with a built in compas that i wear at all times and i intend to include a full size compass and maps with my level 2 set up. The blanket roll sounds interesting, do you have any pics of such a set up?

Swampy99 do you use a plce belt rig? Are they not usually quite expensive to procure? Id be interested in seeing that kind of set up if you had pictures! I agree the stuff lashed top and bottom would have a tendency to wobble about if i was running

Peter

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
whats a bug out bag?

Some people call it a 'grab bag'. It's a kit that you prepare for the time when disaster strikes and you have to 'bug out' with very little notice.

Of course when that time does come, Murphy's Law dictates that you'll be nowhere near your BOB. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
To answer the OP's question, I think that's a great start and I'd be more than happy to know that was handy if I had a nasty surprise. Agreed with Sandbender on the compass, but something is better than nothing. I have several of the Silva type stashed here and there, some of the older ones have been bashed around in my packs for thirty or forty years and have the odd crack in the plastic bits, but they'll still get me where I want to go. You might want to keep an eye out for second-hand examples that look in reasonable condition.

You can't beat cotton wool and a firesteel for reliability, but I'd still always throw in a couple of lighters. I prefer the blue flame variety, cheap ones from China in preference to the [expletive deleted] Turboflame things which only seem to work for me if it's above about 15C.

Can you get GPS in a wristwatch now?

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi Ged, thanks :) yes i have one of those GPS watch thingys from garmin, however the battery life is only about 4 hours and they arent user changeable so its not of much use, i might tie a full size compass on to one of the loops then and i do have a bic lighter in there aswell. Do you have a response pak Ged? This kit is actually quite heavy do you recon the waist strap is up to the task? I worry the buckle might fail

Peter

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It won't be the buckle that fails, more like your trousers when the weight drags whole lot to the ground!!! I'm in the process of adding a (removable) yoke to mine. A snugpak one so can add Rocket pouches to it..

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Ah id be very interested in seeing that mod when its done, that would make it a much more stable load, i wonder could i mod the plce daypack yoke to attach to the responsepak?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats the drawback of the response pack - the whole "bum bag" arrangement. For the use you have in mind I would look at something like a Maxpedition Versipack (Jumbo) - or one of the cheap chinese knock offs. Much more secure.

From a water purification point of view, I think steripens are pretty woeful. They are battery dependant, they don't work at all on cloudy water etc. I would lose that and add in a few strips of puritabs.

An invaluable item would be a tiny radio to monitor the news etc. I have one with an ear piece thats the size of a small box of matches that lasts 30+ hours of listening.

Add in a memory stick with scans of all your important documents (certificates, licenses, bank accounts, passp[orts, insurance policies etc.)

Red

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Good idea on the radio Red, i have a mini one i could add in. I expected someone to point out the frailties of the steripen and to an extent i agree, i do have a pre filter ordered up and on its way and i have some steritabs in the zippo tin, im also considering a surviva pure straw, have you any experience of these?

The memory stick is also a very good idea, i have a waterproof one of these on my keys, ill scan those up and add it in.

I looked at those versipacks and the seem excellent but very expensive! Id have one if they were cheaper, do the chinese knock offs last as well? And are they much cheaper?

Peter

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have heard good things about the Chinese versions but don't have one myself. I'd skip the straw and look for a cheap carbon ceramic water filter with an iodine resin stage. I use a Pre-mac MWP but theres plenty of others. You can also get a water bottle in the same shape as your current one with a built in filter

Red

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I thought you could attach a snugpack response pack to plce webbing using the belt loops like on any other webbing pouch (with t bars (if thats what they are called) would be useful) ?I was going to buy one for my webbing as I need a larger pouch for cadet overnight exercises so I dont need a daysack, while still having room for ammunition etc.
Please correct me if Im wrong. Incidently if your interested in plce peter, I have a spare set I was gona put up for trade or sale with yoke, belt, two double ammo pouches, bayonet frog and a utility pouch (all strong issue gear rather than webtex but some of it is a bit faded as is expected from used gear)

Dan

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have both a Chinese knock off Versipack and Sabrecat clone. The versipack quality is great, not so on the Sabrecat one though. And its the Sabrecat clone I'm modding. Most mods are simply reinforcing the shoddy stitching, but at over £100 less then Maxped I am not to fussed!!!

The daypack yoke is easy to mod to fit, I'm just adding extra straps at back to clip on at rear and using the front straps to clip in at front on my Waterbottle pouches. That way can still add PLCE sidepocket/s to hold sleepbag Etc.

Another popular and cheap option that a lot of people use is PLCE Respirator pouches. Very good. Got Two, paid £5 each brand new in OG colour.

As for water purifiers I have just imported Three tiny pump action one micron filters, one for me and two intended to sell on. Got three as postage was crazy on one so thought I'd save others the hassle! Will try it out soon and post my findings.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Lewis, how easy would it be for a novice with no sewing experience to reinforce the chinese copy sabercat to an acceptable level of durability? is the only difference the stitching and perhaps fabric quality? also i have a daysack yoke and 2 plce side pouches so i could maybe mod that to fit the response pak and that would be ideal, how hard is it? id be stitching by hand and iv literally only ever sewn a few buttons on things lol so itd prob look like a pigs ear but id give it a go!

Red (or anyone else) have you tried using a bandanna as a pre filter, i have included one of these for that very reason, but how effective are they? ie if you filtered brown muddy water through it would it improve the clarity by much? and is it a pain in the bum to use? I might try and source a pre filter attachement for that 58 pattern bottle, i think iv seen them about, i have a katadyn vario that i use when im out with groups but its massive and a pain in the bum to carry and maintain

Peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE