My First Bug Out Bag *Level 2* Opinions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Okay as promised here is the level 2 bug out bag, designed to be carried in addition to the snugpak, it sits quite nicely above the snugpak actually the level one set up was posted here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66330 I originally intended to use the daypak yoke but this did not work out for me so i have used this 25litre vango boulter daypack i had lying around until i obtain something better, perhaps a karrimor sabre 35???

As before this is my first attempt and this will most likely evolve as i acquire more kit or rule out some kit

Here is a pic:

The Contents:

lashed to the top - a multimat

lashed to the left side - army bivi (taken off the top of the response pak

lashed to the right side - my dd 3x3m tarp with guy lines

lashed to the front - a freeloader globetrotter supercharger

in the top pocket - another dry bag, dry pouch for my phone, bin liners, snacks, more spare batteries

in the small side pockets - a waterproof head torch, the other pocket is as yet empty

Inside a dry bag liner in the main bag:

mountain hardwear lamina 20 synthetic sleeping bag, compressed.
a pillow case, to be filled with clothes for a pillow.

a dry bag with:

top and bottom merino wool base layers
seal skinz waterproof hat, socks and gloves

2 zippo hand warmers and a small fuel bottle
small wash bag with essentials
a source roll top water bladder (works with steripen)

there is still plenty of room left in this bag so more suggestions for anything iv left out are greatly appreciated!!

Peter

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Can't see the pic I'm afraid.

Just wondering as I came back from the woods if you had any high-visibility stuff in the pack? I'm just thinking about making signals.

It's more or less at this point that I start thinking about getting things to do two (or more) things rather than just one, so the pack can offer more but not weigh more. So a bit of fabric for making a signal might double as a pillowcase, or whatever.

Have to go now, she's getting a bit fractious...

ged

Jul 16, 2009

Yay!

That's starting to look like the kit I keep in the car.

Mostly now I'd use it, fiddle with it, mess around swapping things that can do one thing for things that can do three things, lighter ones, whatever. If you take notes of what you find you like and don't like, what works and what doesn't, and post them here, I'm sure we'll all find it very interesting.

I love the phone/torch/radio/GPS/camera/calculator/stove idea. Well I invented the bit about the stove, but it's the obvious next step. :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
...there is still plenty of room left in this bag so more suggestions for anything iv left out are greatly appreciated!!

Food.

You want most of the weight taken on your hips with those nice padded straps. That one looks a little bit like my favourite rucksack, which was one my wife threw out because it was old and scruffy. Just happens to fit me perfectly. :)

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Ged, im onto that, got a 24hr ration pack on the way so will divide that up between the response pak and the level 2 bag. i was very tempted to take the lot out last night and walk somewhere until i found somewhere to kip and test it all out (the misses was doing my nut in) lol but i have a big day today on the bike so i needed a good nights sleep so i may go out 2nite instead.

Sargey, iv only just got it (was an xmas prezzie) so i haven't tried it out yet, im only today looking at it, and i have to charge the battery for 6hrs via usb to condition it before i can use it. i can tell you that its pretty sensitive tho, picking up a charge when just sat beside my desk lamp, however the cloudy weather in Belfast at the mo is bad news for it, doesn't charge very well in that (im going by the LED indicators on the unit). il have to test charge times when i have the battery conditioned. Do you have one? or considering one?

bearbait

As far as maps go I'd think along the lines of a 1:250K scale for an overview of your "theatre" - these will show cities/towns/villages and all regular roads other than the most minor routes - and a couple of large scale (1:50K, 1:25K) maps of any areas you anticipate being refuges, or areas where you spend a high proportion of your time. I remember when the first Gulf War kicked off in 1990 I got hold of some very large scale maps of my area that showed where the springs were - figuring water very highly as a my must-have resource! Luckily never needed them in earnest.

You can get some small scale (1:250K) maps that show the open country and mountainous areas (sometimes shaded for height) that could prove adequate for basic nav/orientation.

Remember a map case and/or laminate them.

You could also consider saving/printing some Google Earth imagery of favoured areas.

Hoping you never need to call on BOB other than in exercise...

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
ok an update on the solar charger, basically its dung, the battery was mush straight out of the box and so was the replacement when i returned it, i got a powermonkey instead, seems a much better job and can take AA or AAA batteries as well as use solar power, excellent solution! also has a built in flashlight!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE