My first buck saw (DIY) and weekend upside-down fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
This past weekend was our first weekend with the family at the campground. Not exactly wilderness camping but great family fun nonetheless! Hosted a few friends/families one evening so decided to go with the "upside down fire". My neighbor, a marine, said "this goes against everything I've ever learned about fire". I must say it is one of the hottest and greatest coal-producing fire lays out there.
DB051A1E-23C0-4780-ADC8-014EC0053E34_zpskpkjtlik.jpg

Wanted a buck saw after seeing one in use repeatedly in skog's videos. I decided to make my own and studied lots of internet material. This is what I came up with. Made with some oak from Home Depot. It's got a slit up each upright and folds to completely cover the blade without having to disconnect the blade. I shaved it down to get weight around a pound and treated with linseed oil to bring out the grain. I didn't document this process in the same detail as I am my first axe restore, but I'll post some dimensions and detail when time allows. This photo was taken in the yard when I gave the saw a real test. Lots of tree limbing to get more sun out back. 4-6" branches cut off then sectioned for firewood. I was quite pleased!
D067E7C3-AA90-4666-8589-9668D4664472_zpswjoutzid.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE