My first axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ordered my first ever axe last night. A Wetterlings small hunting axe from bearclawbushcraft, I can't wait till i get it!

Oh and Gary, it was ordered under Carol Compton so I don't mind if you slip anything else in it :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A good tool by all accounts :)
Be careful though, axes can be very dangerous in untrained hands, learn to use an axe safely and it will serve you well..... ;-)

On a side note, you should really upgrade your first aid kit to deal with big slash wounds if you don't already have anything in yourr kit to deal with an axe accident.

Be safe

:)
Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Hi Young bushman I figured as much.

I will add some samples of tinder for you to try out.

And echoing Ed's reply - they are good axes but be very careful while learning to use it.

If you need any advice please contact me via the website and I will do my best to help.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've done a bit of axe work and covered basic safety on courses I've done in the past.

Will definitely upgrade my FAK, need a new one anyway. Any suggestions?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Scott posted your axe this morning - plus a few little treats.

Enjoy it and be careful with it ok!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Medical items are much like survival gear. You want enough to stabilise the situation but always remembering that rescue/evacuation is #1 in priority. I've seen some medical kits that put an ambulance to shame. If the potential for a sever slashwound from an axe is of concern, think BATTLE DRESSING. We want something that can stem bloodflow and be applied NOW.

leon-1

Scott, Chris is right I have dealt with an injury due to an axe incorrectly swung.

The Issue FFD is quite good for anything like this and I hate to put up the link, but it is the only place I currently know of that sell them in top conditionhttp://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/pe...JGIQ_+First+Field+Dressing+20+19cm&cid=55.

They are not cheap at £4.50, but if any one knows where else you can get them from in good condition I would appreciate it as well. Leon.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Axe arrived today, nobody was in so i'm going to get it from the post office in the morning. Absolutely top service from bearclaw bushcraft as It was posted only yesterday.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I reccon most of Essex will be logged by monday! :lol:
Hope you enjoy it :cool:

Be careful with that axe,Eugene.(thats bit before your time young bushman!! V. early Pink Floyd)

hobbit

May 7, 2004
guernsey
lucky you scott i'm still to young to play with an axe one day i will be old enough then my dads axe collection will be shared :-D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Justin Time said:
leon-1 said:
Did your dressings have a date on them :?:

Yup, Dec 2005, and I bought them a couple of years ago. I hope I get to the stage where I have to throw them out unopened, or maybe keep them as tinder?

Dont throw them out if they expire without having a replacement ready. Even an expired field dressing will be better than a torn up t-shirt. Most none-perishable things that have an expiry on them, such as bandages, will continue to be fine for many years later. To a large extent, the expiry date is for warranties and legal reasons when used in professional situations. Obviously there is a limit, but dont leave your FAK short of something just because it's a few weeks past the use-by date. Obviously this doesnt apply to food items.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
There is a line of thought that you should dip the handle into boiling water to bring out the grain then sand it down and oil it - but personally I think thats a load of long winded cobblers - you have a tool the best oil for it is the oil from you hands which it will cather with use.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I there anything i can use for the axehead to keep it nice and shiny and get rid of scrathes etc.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
First Question is WHY? An axe is a tool, like a hammer or a drill and is designed to be worked. More importantly using it and the staining it picks up from the wood ect will actually help protect the metal from moisture. And give the axe character.

But if you really want it shiny then get a garry block or similar and use this to clean it (being careful near the edge) - and remember to lightly oil it is it goes into longer term storage.

Sharpening the blade and using the slip created there can also be used although this will not rub off deeper damage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE