My first attempt at some cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
A couple of weeks ago I gathered some bark and left it to dry. With a sleepy Sunday to hand, I thought I'd try turning it into string.

Here's the bark soaking:
IMG_8906.jpg

Here it is, all wet and bendy:
IMG_8907.jpg

I stuck my knife into a handy piece of wood to help cut the bark into strips:
IMG_8911.jpg

While it was fun doing it that way, I found it a lot quicker and easier to just tear the bark into strips:
IMG_8912.jpg

Pretty soon I had lots of strips ready for rolling:
IMG_8913.jpg

Here me rolling it into cordage, amazing how quickly it goes:
IMG_8914.jpg

IMG_8915.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

Before I knew it I had about a metre done:
IMG_8917.jpg

Here's a close-up of a little bit that I doubled up:
IMG_8918.jpg

Here the final fruits of my labours:
IMG_8920.jpg

I was surprised by the ease of it. I found putting new strips in a little fiddly. The metre piece isn't very neat. It's got some fat bits and thin bits. There are places where one strand looks like it's wrapping round the other, rather than both of them twisting together, but hopefully I'll do a better job of it next time!
A very nice way to spend my morning.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Your getting there. To stop one strand turning around the other, you need to twist the straighter strand more. Twist them both very tightly and let the main woven part twist naturally with minimum encouragement and you should get something more even, where even thick and thin strands will blend in together more naturally like this...

10Jul201039.jpg

10Jul201040.jpg

The key is very tight twists.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Good work i find cordage making very satisfying. its amazing how we take cordage for granted these days! I've made nettle and willow cord but completely failed with Lime cordage - will have to have a crack again some time.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
good work mate, just a quick tip if u didnt do it, try removing the green outer bark from the inner as u will find it courses the bark to go dry and rot quicker, hope that helps cheers...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE