My first attempt at making a bow (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Okay behold the numerous amount of rookie mistakes, yet I'm pleasantly surprised by the resilience of the bow, as I expected it to fail halfway in the tillering process.
I made some gross mistakes somewhere between splitting and defining the bows shape, as the grain was a bit curvy and the grain was so light it was barely visible, i made some cuts on the back of bow that can still prove to be rather fatal to the bow seeing the fact is has some out running grain lines.
Then I realized that the natural curve of the wood should be opposite instead of with the bend of the bow, that way the back and belly changed sides, so that one rather Hilarious rookie mistake became Really visible ^^
DSC06011.jpg

Now I had to take of the original belly and fit a new one on the other side a job I'm gonna do next week. I first took off the old belly,
DSC06028.jpg

To use my wrokbench as a Tillering table I made myself a new Benchdog to hold my bow belly, and used my already existing benchdogs to help me hold the string, in this way I had a really wel ajustable tillering Jig.
DSC06073-1.jpg
DSC06088.jpg

And then went back to a little more tillering, with the huge and obvious stiff spot in there it wasnt hard to tell what part needed work, I had also put in an insert at the place I already made an arrow notch, yup rookie mistake number two.
DSC06072.jpg

Then I decided that I wanted a recurve, and I learned something that could help me avoid having to build a steambox, so I put the kettle of water on the fire, and started looking for something that would make a nice recurve Jig, in this case, an old Sled.
DSC06033.jpg

I used some small wooden slats to help me even the pressure out on the bow and to stop me from hurting the wood.
I then doused the far ends of the limbs with boiling water for about 2 to 4 minutes, put a old cloth on the sled so there wouldnt be any stain from the rust, and put the bow on there and clamped it down for about 5 minutes
DSC06045.jpg
DSC06064.jpg
DSC06068.jpg

And there we go, a wannabe recurve, done in about 25 minutes.

I will get back to you guys with the developments on the belly, and for the expert boyers on here, give me some pointers cause I made allot of mistake and want my next bow to be a looker, and a heck of a shooter.
any questions are very welcome ^^
And I believe the piece of wood I used was Aspen or a type of Poplar, but not entirely sure though, it is a very white wood, small grain, fibrous and on the tangential section the rings came up yellow.

Yours sincerely Ruud
my humbling respect to you boyers out there

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Chris, still hoping that the bow will survive, I'm thinking about giving it an additional backing to ensure no splitting on the back, and of course I still have to add the grip, but hey will add that in here soon ^^
Thanks for the response
Yours sincerely Ruud

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Wow, heck of a start to your bow making career!! Reversing the bow midway through made me smile and also liked the sled idea for recurving!

As for any tips, well I think you would benefit making a tiller tree. This is a rope and pulley system where you can draw the bow from a distance and check your tiller without putting too long a strain time on the stave, also gives some protection if a bow should go boom!!

I bet you learned a lot from this first bow which will help in the next one and so on.

As to your wood choice... both Poplar and Aspen are lousy woods for bows and both have a SG of around .37 - the nearer 1.0 the better but anything over .50 is worth a go!

A good list of wood species is found here... http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/47641/List-of-Potenial-Bow-Wood-Species-With-Comments

Try and get an inexpensive stave or board of a better species for the next bow if you can? No point in getting a stunning bit of wood yet, save that for when your a few bows in.

Good luck,

Steve.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Steve, I got texted by a friend who asked me to go bowmaking with him, so I'm probably gonna be lil rebel me, and head into the forest with my axe as there is allot of woodland, near me that is in desperate need of thinning, so I think I'm gonna give the rangers a hand ^^

And as far as the wood type, I kinda figured that it was a lousy bow wood as it created a big amount of set after the first few times of tillering, that was mainly the reason I wanted to go for that recurve, and I'm using that term correctly right "set" the extra amount of bend in the direction of the string that a bow develops after being used or tensioned?

And I believe I have some beech lying around, but still have to see how that will turn out split as its brother was quite the snaky ******* ^^

Will keep you guys updated
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Hamish, and will do. seeing the fact I will have a life again after next Tuesday, deadlines just aren't my thing ^^
Yours sincerely and thanks for the comment
Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE